myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
EZZY top cap abnormal mast wear caused by friction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: EZZY top cap abnormal mast wear caused by friction Reply with quote

I had noticed some mast had batten friction wear due to the battens rubbing but now the top of my 2016 EZZY Elite is digging into the top of the mast.
Anyone else had this issue?

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that cap can wear a ring around the top, one fix is to file/sand down the inside edge of the cap so it's not such a corner wearing against the mast. Also make sure the cap is centered on the top of the mast, sometimes that top strap can become stiff, and will keep the cap at an offset angle which will add to the wear.
Another issue can be if the top strap is tightened all the way down, that alone can keep the cap at an angle, not good. So rigging the sail one more notch lower on the base extension will force you to add a bit to the top strap, which will in turn help keep the top cap centered.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback... problematic design then? I have stopped rotating my masts and use them the way they naturally curve so I don't have a ring but a one-sided gouge.

I did release 2cms off the top after I got it, the wear must have happened before then or with a previous sail (bought it all together). Then recalibrated the gauge so that Medium matches the 3 dots on the leech. I did this so that I could use the bottom extension ring at 8cm instead of the recommended 6 which cannot be achieved with a skinny Chinook extension (but with a Streamlined yes or Severne I think... anyway).

So maybe I killed two birds?

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one layer for tape at the tip of the mast. Its needs to be replaced often as soon as it wears. Use to much and the mast can get stuck in the mast cap. make sure the mast cap is free of sand and dirt. I have a 10 year old mast that shows its use but no read deep wear....
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just de-rigged my sail (leave it rigged all the time), I don't rotate my mast as I try to match the eventual mast bend to the luff curve. The wear was almost all the way through. The center part was quite soft.

So I put some epoxy glue with fiberglass cloth in layers, small patches. It seems to be from the inside of the sail itself, the top cap rubbed a little but then becomes flush and it doesn't progress it seems. I was surprised to see how much wear there was at the tip and so fast.

I'm going to contact Ezzy and ask about this problem.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeping sails rigged all the time degrades their performance. sails stretch, and one may need to retune. masts get a permanent bend, make sails even mushier.

ezzy's have a singular softness to begin with that i, personally do not like. i can't imagine how it must feel after being rigged all the time.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not keep my sails rigged. You will fatigue the sail and mast and performance will suffer. Release all down haul and out haul tension in order to preserve and extend the life of your gear. If your base and boom are pre set to the sail your rigging, its less than 5 min to get it ready to go. Also de rigging allows you to inspect and clean components. Things are so expensive these days it worth a few min. to make them last as long as possible and preform like new....
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
keeping sails rigged all the time degrades their performance. sails stretch, and one may need to retune. masts get a permanent bend, make sails even mushier.

Totally agree!

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+4
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree and remove tension on both the outhaul and downhaul.
I even used to rotate the mast until I realized that the mast can bend even if rotated. Then I started to think that maybe it wasn't the tension that bent them but maybe heavy washing cycles?

It could have been in my head too but I noticed that rotating a bent mast degraded performance. So then now I always insert the mast (both parts) matching the bend to the luff curve. And finally, I wonder if inserting a mast with the opposite bend could cause more stress when washed.

David replied to me (super fast and detailed!) and suggested releasing tension, taping and rotating the mast (which requires then releasing boom head) and even offered a lifetime warranty on failure related to the damage. He said putting glass up there is a good idea.

Now I just thought of something... any time the tip of the sail hits the sand, unless the sail is tipped upside down (I'm working on forwards, it should help with the problem) the sand must make its way down and possibly causing accelerated wear there!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: