myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boards for foiling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched the PWA foil - ALL big wide boards

https://livestream.com/accounts/9351246/events/7945764/videos/166357169

7.7 and 8.6 sails - winds hit 20 knots ??
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
just watched the PWA foil - ALL big wide boards

https://livestream.com/accounts/9351246/events/7945764/videos/166357169

7.7 and 8.6 sails - winds hit 20 knots ??

Ive been watching the live streams of the PWA foiling as well...very exciting to watch and the Pro's are really pushing limits out there, great stuff.

the wide/formula width boards give you an edge for racing etc but I don't think they are needed for Free-foiling.

Yesterday we had 10-15 with a slight build up of 10-18 and I was foiling on a Neil Pryde V8 7.7 sail with a RRD slalom board 225 x 79 (I weigh 195 lbs). it takes more technique in the real light winds, but once up its crazy how you fly!

Last edited by PCfoiling on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is now my light wind set up (for 8-15 mph) I will use 7.7.

For 12-18 mph I will use 6.7.

foil light wind set up.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.42 KB
 Viewed:  13525 Time(s)

foil light wind set up.jpg

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 155 lbs on the Naish foil with the JP 155 foil board.

I have settled in using the Naish Lift 5.7 for gusting under 20 mph.

For gusts 20 to 25 mph I am using the Superfreak 4.7. For over 25 mph gusts I have a Superfreak 3.5.

Those sails are all light as a feather as they are not made like traditional sails and I think this really helps to throw around the sail like you would do when carving on a wave.

The Superfreak I think is especially good because the 90% battens and soft Dacron material absorb the gust so you get smoother power delivery without adding cams.

One trend I see in sails for foiling is smooth power delivery. As you need very little power once up on the foil there is no need to be blown around by gusts. I assume that is why a lot of foil sails have cams, and for me the Superfreak is a good no cam alternative when you want that wave sail feel.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Look for an old Starboard Go board, late 90's to mid 2000's. There's gotta be one of those gathering dust in someone's garage up in your area. They have a deep Tutle box... are strong enough (but still light enough)... and have added length, which means WAY easier "splash-downs" from foil-out's. And easy touch n go's. We all do lots of that stuff, while learning.

I've foiled a bit on 2 different Go boards... and a bit more on my formula board. All work fine. But I have a friend who's foiled for more than 100 miles in the Gorge, on his Go board. He has learned fast and done very well on it.

Anyway, I also know many people using other formula board and big slalom boards. All work fine, and no damage yet to stock tutle boxes. Although, I've heard stories of stock tutle boxes eventually having cracks for some people... but so far, this seems rare. People in the business tell me, "use whatever you have with a deep T box... if or when, some day, you get a crack in it... then sure, get it re-enforced".
I also like the LP (what I have) and the Slingshot (what some friends have) because they have a flange which distributes load on the bottom of the board. This will also make a stock Deep T finbox board last longer. However, I also have friend's with "no flange" foil masts... and their boards are ok so far.
Conclusion - You do NOT need a special board or special sails. You're on flat water, just looking for a little extra fun in 10-20 mph wind. You and I are bigger than many. Neither one of us are going to foil in waves. So all you need is your SLW board, which would be great... or an old Go board, which would be a little better for you, cause it's longer.
So after you're using and learning with that, for a while. If you "really get into it" or your deep T box cracks... you can get it fixed and beefed up... or get a ready made foil board. And then you can add special sails as well.
Of course, if you want to invest big $ right away, you can. But for guys like you and me (frugal) it's not needed, to start having a really fun time.

dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on how Bic Nova 165 might work, I ask because it is similar to Starboard Go. 82 cm wide, 165 volume, kind of heavy at 11 kg, deep tuttle box. Same shape as Bic Techno 160, but heavier construction, padded surface.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Any thoughts on how Bic Nova 165 might work, I ask because it is similar to Starboard Go. 82 cm wide, 165 volume, kind of heavy at 11 kg, deep tuttle box. Same shape as Bic Techno 160, but heavier construction, padded surface.

Yeah, a Bic Nova 165 would work great, to get started in windfoiling.

*It's big enough to uphaul easily, for experienced windsurfers.
*Deep tutle box.
*A good sized platform, to smooth out rough landings... which means more time to learn flying. Easier touch n go's... less crashes into the water. A bigger platform means less time crawling back on the board and getting going again, after hard crashes.
*Built strong... even has a padded deck. These things mean you'll spend less time and $ doing repairs. For contrast, formula boards (and similar) are really popular for learning foiling... and I agree, that's what I've used the most. But everyone has some bad crashes, where the mast hits the bow, hard. These ALL lead to cracks and repairs, cause FW are so darn fragile. So the other boards that are a bit heavier, but built stronger and tough... will mean more time flying and less time in the repair shop.
*Don't worry about a few lbs. more weight... you will still get up flying. These wings going through water at 10-15 mph generate amazing lift. Yes a feather light FW or big slalom board might lift off with 11 mph board speed. And a heavier Go or Nova might need 13 mph board speed. But you will still get up flying... and the sturdier construction will be worth it (for all us learning this).

coachg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-15, 10-18, 10-20 is plenty of wind for me easily planing with 7.3 to 5.5 depending on the average wind speed on 65 & 75 cm wide boards, a setup that easily fits into my Prius. In this situation I'm not really interested in foiling right now. Over time that may change & I may find myself wanting to foil in higher winds.

Right now I am targeting the 8-12 winds, thus the reason for ordering the Naish foil setup. Wind speeds that I would normally use a Kona, formula or large -85 cm wide-slalom board with 8.2-10 sails. The larger gear easily fits in my van but not my Prius. My goal is to carry my 65 cm Hawk & Naish Hover 122 that is 73 cm wide along with one boom, two masts & three sails for 8-24 mph winds at my local lake that is along my work commute. I prefer to only use my van for day trips as opposed to daily commute.

Greg,
I have access to Starboard Go & Rio with deep tuttle boxes. The Rio is much heavier with the centerboard but is also much longer. Both boards are around 80 cm wide I believe. Would you suggest my first few runs on one of those boards with the Naish foil before switching to the Hover 122?

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same criteria and situation, except Naish foil is sitting in the van. I'm way powered at 11 to 19mph winds on several fast freeride boards, easily topping 24 mph boatspeeds.
To me also, foil is for 7-13mph breezes. I have F-162 also.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg, I would love to hear how the Naish Hover board compares to a board that is 80cm wide. Once you have a chance to use both please report back to all of us.

Just for a different point of view I am running my Naish foil in all winds. Today gusting between 25 mph to perhaps 29 mph I foiled with a 3.5 Superfreak. At first it was challenging, but as I learned how that sail reacted in those winds it became a lot of fun.

Most of my rides back to shore were with the sail completely flagged out and riding the swells. I just used small boosts of power from the sail here and there while relying mainly on the swell energy to keep going.

I am kind of addicted to the feeling of foiling so I lost my desire to ride my regular board. I understand this might be a lot different than others feel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: