myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
big van advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Nissan NV2500 high roof that's quite decent. Drives well, no problems making the annual 2300 mile trip from MA to Corpus every year; we usually drive through one or two nights, taking turns. Reliable, no issues in 5 years. About 16 mpg with the V8.
However, when it needs to be replaced, I'll look at alternatives for three reasons:
1. Dealer service is a pain, since most Nissan dealers won't touch it - has to be a "commercial dealer". I have to drive 40 minutes. I checked out local non-dealer repair shops when it needed new brakes, but they came in a lot more expensive.
2. The sides are not perfectly straight, which makes putting in racks a bit more tedious. No big deal, but the newer vans look straighter.
3. It's a bit to short to put longboards on the inside. A 10.6 ft board fits in the top rack, but a 12 footer fits only diagonally, with the nose almost touching the windshield. I'd prefer a longer wheel base, which is not available from Nissan. But when we bought it, the Sprinter was the only alternative, and that was a lot more expensive.
quigley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Ford Transit . Love it! Transits come in three lengths and three heights. Mine is medium length and height. It fits 6 boards and a 10 foot plus SUP no problem with room to stand and change out of a wetsuit . Backup camera and touch screen are handy and the ride is very comfortable. Mileage depends on speed and headwinds but runs from 17 to 21 mpg.
neilhannon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Van homework Reply with quote

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/diesel-cargo-vans-compared-ford-transit-vs-mercedes-benz-sprinter-ram-promaster-comparison-test. Shocked Shocked
gobigkahuna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link doesn't work, this one does:

https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/diesel-cargo-vans-compared-ford-transit-vs-mercedes-benz-sprinter-ram-promaster-comparison-test/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm not the only one who noticed the weird ergonomics of the ProMaster! Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want wierd, measure the cargo space of the Nissan vs it's overall length.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking garages may be an issue with the tall vans, if you ever need to park in one.
The traditional full size Chevy Express cargo van is a little less tall but has a huge cargo area. It drives very nice, much better than the traditional Ford E-150 van. They were both reasonably priced a few years ago when I was looking.
Maybe worth considering.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Length and height are always considerations, as is mileage, warmup time, ergonomics, reliability, and literally dozens of other factors.
Like any other choice question, sit in, talk to, and drive them all.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

promaster diesel performs for me quite better when i manually shift. i only do so when i need a fast start. when i am in no hurry, i let the robot do the shifting.

i drive for long periods in it. no complaints about comfort.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Length and height are always considerations, as is mileage, warmup time, ergonomics, reliability, and literally dozens of other factors..

Like dealerships. In >50 years of buying and servicing motor vehicles in 10-12 states, I've found only a couple of dealerships worth a crap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: