myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
tips to help numb hands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
discman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2001 11:32 pm    Post subject: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

any one else suffer from carpol tunnel syndrome?
if so, aside from cutting the wrists, can i enjoy a numb free sailing day??
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

1. See a physician.
2. Search on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on Google. Ignore all websites except those of major hospitals and universities, the U.S. government, etc.
3. See a physician.
4. Use your hands less and your harness more. You hands are for jibing, not reaching.
5. See a physician.
6 If he recommends surgery, get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th opinions and keep reading those search results.
7. If search results recommend surgery, medicine, supplements, vitamins (other than a little Vit B6), etc. ... get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th opinions and keep reading those search results.
8. Do not ignore this. It can get worse until its irreparable, at which time youre permanently screwed.

Mike \m/
tshred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:35 am    Post subject: RE: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

Use a wrist brace at night. You can get them at drugstores. This helps a lot. You may even want to wear it sailing.

Ibuprofin works well also to keep down the swelling.

Like the first reponse said try to let the harness to most of the work, practice one or no hand sailing.

Everones carpol is different. Ive had it for more than 20 years and it only gets bad if I sail 4 or more hours a day for several days.

The HMOs will usually give you the run around. But you will know when its getting bad when you cant sleep at night.
goltz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: RE: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

Isobars is very correct with one exeption. A recent article in the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery investigated the usefulness of internet searches in supplying accurate information on carpal tunnel syndrome. Briefly: about one third of the articles helped, one third were selling something, and one third were just plain wrong.

Carpal tunnel syndrome can in some instances advance to permanent weakness of the thumb, but, the first question is whether or not you really have carpal tunnel syndrome. There are numerous other causes for numbness in the hand with repetitive tasks, carpal tunnel syndrome is just the most common.

You should seek the advice of an orthopedic surgeon or hand surgeon and not diagnose yourself. I bet they wont advise surgery as the first step, there are plenty of non-operative first steps.

Dave
hobie2772

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 11:04 am    Post subject: RE: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

Since Im not a doctor I will not advise on anything but from a windsurfing perspective. Isobars said it - your harness lines should be balanced against the sails power pocket. If your line length is correct & youre sail is rigged correctly you should be able to take your hands off the boom completely or at the very least completely relax them. Gripping the boom hard should only be needed for transitional moves, i.e., jibes, tacks

Chris
scortovec

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 8:45 pm    Post subject: RE: tips to help numb hands Reply with quote

Got your answer!! The usual cause of Carpal Tunnel stems from a problem in the lower neck region. The nerves travel down from the neck and into the shoulder elbow and wrist. If there is any degeneration/arthritis in the neck it will make the symptoms in the hands much worse. Ahh, my solution is to see a good chiropractor. He/she is the only one trained to locate this problm and correct it without the use of drugs or surgery. And the bonus is that you will be amazed on how much better you will feel when your body and spine are in proper alignment. Any questions please feel free to email me @ docaugie@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: