myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Heros pay a price for doing the right thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Heros pay a price for doing the right thing Reply with quote

Great examples... Ali and the recipient of the award.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beyonce-colin-kaepernick-muhammad-ali-legacy-award_us_5a277052e4b044d16725c084

Beyoncé Surprises Colin Kaepernick To Present Him With Muhammad Ali Legacy Award
“It’s been said that racism is so American that when we protest racism, some assume we’re protesting America. So let’s be very clear,” she says.

Quote:
Beyoncé made a surprise appearance Tuesday night to present Colin Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback was honored with the award for using his sports platform to protest racial injustice and police brutality, sparking a nationwide take-a-knee movement in the process. Despite an impressive career, Kaepernick remains unsigned by an NFL team more than a year after he began to kneel during the national anthem before games.

“Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion, only hope to change the world for the better; to change perception; to change the way we treat each other, especially people of color,” Beyoncé said as she thanked Kaepernick for his selflessness and conviction. “We’re still waiting for the world to catch up.”

real-human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/09/white-house-olympics-berlin/502325/

A White House Tribute at Last
President Obama met with the families of the African-American athletes of the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, offering praise that Franklin Roosevelt didn’t.

Quote:
Obama also praised Tommie Smith and John Carlos, who were in attendance, for their silent protest at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City. The athletes, who won gold and bronze medals in the 200-meter run, each raised a glove-covered fist on the winner’s podium while the national anthem played, an act that resulted in their expulsion from the games. Obama said Thursday the controversial move “woke folks up and created greater opportunity for those that followed.”

Quote:
John Woodruff, who won gold in the 800-meter run, recalled this experience in a 1996 interview published on the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum website. “It was very definitely a special feeling in winning the gold medal and being a black man. We destroyed his [Hitler’s] master race theory, whenever we start winning those gold medals,” Woodruff said. “So I was very proud of that achievement and I was very happy, for myself as an individual, for my race, and for my country.”

But when he returned to the U.S., Woodruff was reminded of his own country's lack of acceptance of blacks:

After the Olympics, we had a track meet to run at Annapolis, at the Naval Academy. Now here I am, an Olympic champion, and they told the coach that I couldn't run. I couldn't come. So I had to stay home, because of discrimination. That let me know just what the situation was. Things hadn't changed. Things hadn't changed.

Owens later received White House recognition in 1976, when Gerald Ford presented the athlete with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest award given to a civilian. Owens died in 1980. His granddaughter Marlene Dorch, who was among the relatives at the White House Thursday, told the AP Obama’s recognition would make Owen “so happy.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: