myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
MFC vs Maui Ultra Fins vs Black Project Fins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K4 are not expensive, opposite. So you can try other fins and sizes.

They look the way the look, to be different.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old MFC G-10 fins were great. Their new red fins still perform as well as their old G-10 fins, but are so fragile I'd never buy one again.

I have a fin fetish, so have a drawer full of fins from MFC, MUF, BPF, Makani and K4. The K4 fins were a) the cheapest experiment, b) not as fragile as the red MFC fins, and c) some of the K4s were an improvement over the stock fins, and some were not.
motogon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: MFC vs Maui Ultra Fins vs Black Project Fins Reply with quote

Wind-NC.com wrote:
They're all good brands- you can't go wrong. If you're looking for specific recommendations, though, your question is really open ended......

What board do you have, where are you going to sail it (what type of wind/water conditions), and how do you like your boards to feel? Further helpful info would be how much you weigh and if you like to sail over or under powered... Schlog and surf? Windy side-on or side-off waves? Or mostly bump and jump use? Got weeds? Want your board to be settled and controlled or alive and free? Want to feel like you're on a soft snowboard or would you prefer steel roller coaster tracks when the board is on it's rail?

I'm still not living on Maui ... so condition is like everything possible. For NJ, sometimes OBX, some times Kanaha sailing. B&J, cheesy wind waves, backside riding ... Board is Grip 89. Rider - 5'10", 200lbs office rat.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
The old MFC G-10 fins were great. Their new red fins still perform as well as their old G-10 fins, but are so fragile I'd never buy one again.

I have a fin fetish, so have a drawer full of fins from MFC, MUF, BPF, Makani and K4. The K4 fins were a) the cheapest experiment, b) not as fragile as the red MFC fins, and c) some of the K4s were an improvement over the stock fins, and some were not.

I addition to your fins, I have CNC from Avon, NC., TFC , TARIFAFINSPAIN
CUSTOM G10, from a surf board co. On Maui, made to my design, FCS pure surf, very hi tech, light weight, sophicated inside foil, and several surf fins I adopted the base to slot box.

I have encountered one fin that didn’t suit. As an improvement over stock, any ever used were equal, some better.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
I'm on market for thruster fin set for new board. What is your opinion on those three fin companies? Which company would you prefer? Why?

I've tried BP, MFC, Makani, and True Ames Surfgrass weed fins on my Naish TriFin thruster wave boards in center position. ON THOSE BOARDS, the smallest BP stood out like a shining beacon. Mein GOTT, but it lit that already fantastic board up like the White House Christmas tree ... powerful, extremely tight, but highly precise slashes and jibes plus locked-in upwind blasting even in heavy chop whether just planing or overpowered by most standards. Worth every penny at list price.

So I put one on some mind-reading single-fin wave and freewave board phenoms I love ... and wasn't impressed in short tests. I liked the Surfgrass and MFC San Carlos Wave weed fins, and almost any good wave fin, better in every respect on those boards. Was the difference in the multi-fin vs single-fin geometry? In the hull shapes? In my sailing style and/or stance? Dunno, may figure it out next season, or may just accept it and go sailing (I did enough equipment dweebing -- "twidgeting", as craig calls it -- throughout 2017 to last me for a long while; it's time to reap some rewards).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Ames , have no multi fins. Good centers yes.
Odd, Pascal Bronnimann Of MFC was browsing here earlier. No post.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would consider MakaniFins.

Or really trick.... CNC from Avon.

rollerrider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have a Grip 89 which is a five box but supplied as a quad I believe. The quad fins supplied are probably too small for your size but should work fine in big winds and small sails. Make sure you get the right size fins. If you want speed get small thrusters. I have a STB and the stock fin set has large thrusters and small center fin which works ok but it is slow and the center fin is too small to run by itself. I believe a 21 or 23 center and small side bites would be better for speed and bump n jump. So I guess it depends what kind of ride you want.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the above. At 160 lbs. minimum fin size on the RRD Freewave 92 is two 11 cm bites and a 23cm Ames Enduro. Smaller can work, but will slide at speed, wander, and force you to get out of the straps when not planing fully, like bad jump landings or after hard carves upwind or downwind.
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic guys suggested MFC RTM 18 center and 12 sides. I'm leaning toward MUFins 19 x-wave center and 12.5 x-tri sides. I also just got (pretty much for free) 21cm x-wave - that may work with stock 10cm sides for B&J.
BTW: I have Fanatic Freewave 95 with thruster fin setup and stock fins (19 center and 12 sides) works great for me so far.

Last edited by motogon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: