myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Organizer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Fin Organizer Reply with quote

Any good ideas for fin organization?

This spring I need to do shelving in my van. I am trying to figure out some good solutions for the fins. I probably have around 15 fins. Ideas can be either part of the van (custom storage ideas) or some kind of removable portable storage or organizer. I'm open to any ideas really. Anything has to be better than my current bin-o'-fin. I've recently acquired a few new fins. I'd like to prevent them from getting chipped/bent as well as make it easy to select the fin I need without rummaging around all the time. Ideas? Photos and links welcome.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic storage bins from any hardware store or department, long enough for your longest fin, lined with plastic foam on the bottom, separated with the same foam packing material.
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found large tennis racquet bags hold 6 or more fins. I sort by size and type of box. Makes it simple to keep together. Mark
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used these for years. They hold up well if not abused, require no extra padding, and are space-efficient.

https://tinyurl.com/y7d644hk

I've had one buckle fail (mine are packed to the gills), but just pop riveted a new buckle in its place.

If I plan to handle them roughly, I use canvas tool bags and cut my own dividers from whatever.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy a fin stash or two:

https://isthmussailboards.com/epic-gear-fin-bags.html

https://www.juiceboardsports.co.uk/brand/product/8651-k4-fin-bag

Ocean Air had a bunch of different sizes in stock this past summer, but don't see them listed on their site: http://www.oceanairsports.com/default.asp

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On of the ladies I sail with has her fins deposited in hard foam blocks and
then the block is mounted inside her van(I think). All you need is the
hard foam block and maybe some mounting hardware. You stab the
fin in there, and then the stab spot is available ever after. Easy to see,
easy to remove and replace. Pretty darned organized.

-Craig

p.s. these days I have 1 spare fin, in case I break one off, so it's not that
hard for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I have 1 spare fin, in case I break one off, so it's not that
hard for me.

Something tells me you don't experiment with fins very much. People used to razz Bill Kline for claiming that performance is 1/3 board, 1/3 rider, and 1/3 fin, but I think he's right. Even I can tell a significant, often dramatic, performance difference between fins that look a lot alike. Whenever I buy a board, I try many fins on it, compare them on the water, pick a favorite FOR THAT BOARD IN THOSE CONDITIONS, and bolt it on for the long haul. I care a whole lot less about a fin's size, color, brand, shape subtleties, etc. than I do about how Fin A actually works with Board B for Criterion C.

A bud dumped an expensive new board because it didn't turn like he expected. MANY WSMag board tests and even more owners say wave boards won't go upwind worth crap. Well, of COURSE; the bud's board came with a huge fin intended for slalom riding, and most wave boards come with little bitty fins intended for going DTL in side-off conditions on smooth faces. Both of those are largely fin problems, not board problems. A swap meet and a $20 bill can absolutely transform a $2,000 board's behavior, and a $100 bill can buy 3 to 15 excellent candidates for experimenting (some of my best-performing fins cost $5 or less.)

Mamero's on the right track.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
I have 1 spare fin, in case I break one off, so it's not that
hard for me.

Something tells me you don't experiment with fins very much...
Mamero's on the right track.

We'll, I must admit that 15ish fins sounds like alot but those are not all for one board.

My wife sails too. We both have a high wind and low wind board. That's four boards. Plus we have a couple extra boards which may get sold. Generally each board has two to three fins which is not many per board. For example my carve 121 has a 42cm, the factory 38cm, and a weed fin. Not that many fins per board really. My Futura has a couple. My Kode has three (again high wind fin, low wind fin, and a weed fin). You get the idea. It's not the number of fins per board that do the damage. It's the number of boards!
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
On of the ladies I sail with has her fins deposited in hard foam blocks and
then the block is mounted inside her van(I think). All you need is the
hard foam block and maybe some mounting hardware. You stab the
fin in there, and then the stab spot is available ever after. Easy to see,
easy to remove and replace. Pretty darned organized.

I think SOMETHING along these lines is interesting and preferable over a bag I need to go in and out of. When I get my van done I will (hopefully) be able to just open the back doors, pull out a board, and go. I'd like it to be that easy with the fins. Perhaps some kind of foam with slots mounted to the rear door. Or maybe some 2x4s mounted to the door with slots routed out. I was think something like this for the extensions as well... Just brain storming outside the box. or maybe inside the box... perhaps a box with slots cut in the lid. hmm....
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheAdmiral wrote:
I found large tennis racquet bags hold 6 or more fins. I sort by size and type of box. Makes it simple to keep together. Mark

Interesting idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: