myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trigger Finger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drysuit2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Trigger Finger Reply with quote

Trigger Finger

Has anyone here had any experience with this?
i don’t really have a problem were my finger gets stuck.
But I have developed a rather large node on the tendon that is supposed to slide under the sheath on the palm of my hand. And that hurts quite a bit when I sail.

My Ortho says it’s a simple surgery to release and remove the node, or lump. But I hate any surgery, and doubt the recovery time is just 6 to 8 weeks.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe:

Quote:
Dupuytren's contracture (also known as morbus Dupuytren or Dupuytren's disease) is a disorder of the hand that causes bundles of connective tissue fibers (fasciae) on the palm side of the hand to thicken and harden. This means that one or two fingers become permanently bent and can no longer be straightened.

Usually on the ring finger of each hand. I have had both hands done. Lumps removed from the tendon in the palm leading to the ring fingers. I had mine done before they got large, about pea/bean size or maybe a little larger. No big deal, but there is recovery time when you won't be able to use the hand. I don't recall how long, but it's just the incision healing. Mine occurred a couple of years apart. Also, mine didn't cause the finger to bend or curl because I had them fixed them before they got to that point.

If the Dr. says trigger finger I guess that's a little different, and I have no experience with that.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trigger finger on my thumb, it does lock but not to the point it stays locked. It’s not painful and no other indication exists.

It does come and go, I’m not going to do anything unless it becomes much worse.

Diagnosed by my primary care Dr.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting old is hell!

I've had both thumbs done, plus the middle finger of my left hand. The thumbs were done at different times, and it was the pressing pain and discomfort that eventually drove my decision to get the work done. I should point out that a cortisone shot worked to mitigate the problem for a short period of time, but that was temporary, and it only worked one time.

The last operation was both the thumb and middle finger of the left hand. What I found was the that middle finger was the least painful and problematic before surgery, but the recovery after surgery was much more extended and discomforting. Yet, all is good now.

If you are suffering with the problem, I would highly recommend getting the surgery. Tolerating the pain and avoiding getting the work done isn't the best path. Hopefully you have health insurance to make the decision much easier and less distressful financially.
underwood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it my ring finger. Come on slowly, and eventually got extremely painful. I was ready to cut off my whole finger and be done with it. I started popping the knuckle and that seemed to ease some pressure temporarily. I did A LOT of stretching and massaging and the pain finally went away after 9-10 months. The module is still there and the knuckle is swollen but my finger doesn’t lock anymore and the pain is gone. I sailed with it las summer (while it was still painful) and as long as I didn’t let my palm touch the boom I was fine. As matter of fact if I hung by my fingertips I could really stretch out that knuckle and it relieved the pain and felt really good. Unfortunately I can’t offer any definitive reason the pain and locking ceased, I’m just happy it did.
emcc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have people’s experience been with the surgery? Does it “cure” trigger finger for good, or might the problem recur after some time, especially with continued windsurfing?

I had trigger finger problems develop last year and this year again on the same middle finger. Last year, after rest didn’t help the “triggering,” I got the cortisone shot in August, which worked. I windsurfed only occasionally after that until the season kicked in this year (in NoCal). But, I could feel the symptoms coming on in July. I cut back on windsurfing before the finger started “triggering” which has helped. But, I’d like to windsurf more! For people who’ve had the surgery, is it a “permanent” fix, or has the problem come back? I’ve got an appt with my doctor in a few weeks to hear his take, but I’d be curious to hear other windsurfer’s experiences.

I’m also intrigued with the suggestion of hanging on the boom by fingers only and no palm. Anyone else notice this helps? Or anything else that helps mitigate the condition?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem posted before, has gone away, on its own .

I would have the surgery if it bothered my activities, like windsurfing .

I do feel most surgeons, quote recovery time as far too short.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 to 4 years since my surgeries, I've had no recurrence of any triggering or pain, but that's not to say the problem won't arise again in the future. When you see your hand surgeon, I would ask whether the condition could surface again, and also whether there are any activities or work that could promote a recurrence. Lastly, you might ask if there are any specific exercises to guard against the problem.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring finger also, 2nd to 4th year's, went away as technique evolved just like elbow and forearm problems.
Pain was enough to make me worry about my future in windsurfing, kinda like sciatical at age 48.1
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, the trigger problem with my finger and thumbs wasn't due to windsurfing. Instead, it was inflamed by a lot of the construction work I was doing building a large deck and a number of ambitious home remodeling projects. Having never been in the construction business, it proved to be pretty taxing for an old man in his mid-60s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: