myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstrap Positions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big modern wide board for big sail and light wind - 100% put it outside. Not even sure why they have inserts inside on those (marketing I guess...). If the wind kicks in you will go to the smaller setup anyways. You will plane sooner, more often , will go faster and this will directly translate in more jybe happy endings
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
big modern wide board for big sail and light wind - 100% put it outside. Not even sure why they have inserts inside on those (marketing I guess...). If the wind kicks in you will go to the smaller setup anyways.

Bad guess. Repeated again. Fin size matches sail size, footstrap position matches fin size. Inside position for smaller sails & fins, outside for larger sails & fins. Large fin/sail with inboard straps-sore ankles or board flips. Small sail/fin with outboard straps-heels drag in water slowing board down. Not marketing.

Most beginners start with large freeride & only one board thus the need for multiple positions on the larger freerides.

Going faster will not translate into more jibe happy endings, going faster from setup through initiation will translate into more jibe happy endings. There are far too many sailors who are very fast on a beam reach but never plane out of their jibes because of bad setup.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically correct but too complicated in practice, especially for the guy who has several boards.

light wind->big board and big sail and matching big fin, and outboard footstrap position (this is a default for me)

wind increasing after a while-> either take a smaller board with smaller fin, or match it with a smaller sail as well

no need to put a smaller size sail on a bigger board from the beginning. But of course if you do so (for whatever reason) - put a matching smaller fin (without touching straps).

Regardless we are talking about straps. Changing strap position is not that easy and takes precious time. I'll never do it on the beach, at home in the garage only. (Personally I am not the big fan of tuning for every change in the conditions - launch is is unfriendly, wind shadow, beach is sharp rocks, mud bottom, and the wind changes every 5 minutes). Hence my default position on my bigger boards is outside. On the smallest 75 liter it is definitely inside.

As for the relation of the speed and jybe, I didn't say that high speed is a guarantee for a jybe success, all I am saying with all other things being the same the faster speed at the entry directly translates into the jybe success.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What coachg said. And in particular:

coachg wrote:

Going faster will not translate into more jibe happy endings, going faster from setup through initiation will translate into more jibe happy endings. There are far too many sailors who are very fast on a beam reach but never plane out of their jibes because of bad setup.
Coachg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
There are far too many sailors who are very fast on a beam reach but never plane out of their jibes because of bad setup ...

... and waiting too long* to jibe the sail and re-apply power.

* Definition of "too long": you stop planing.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with UltraLight footstraps?

I finally went to put the supplied straps on the Futura last night and was promptly halted. For the first time I took an up close look at the supplied straps. The straps supplied with the 2016 and 2017 Futuras are some new kind of UltraLight strap. From what I can see there is NO WAY you can adjust the footstrap size (not position) without a screwdriver. What kind of footstrap requires you to essentially REMOVE the strap just to adjust the size?! That's ridiculous? I understand the idea is to save a few grams in weight with this new design but seriously? Couldn't they still at least allow you to adjust the size of the strap without a tool? This means if I need to adjust the size of the strap for whatever reason, I need to leave gear at the the beach, walk all they way back to the car (A long walk when the tide is out), grab a screwdriver, walk all the way back to the shore, loosen or remove the straps with the screwdriver, adjust the size, put the straps back on, walk all the way back to the car to put the screwdriver away, then walk back to the shore. All this when they could just put some simple adjustment (Velcro) on the damn things. Am I missing something with these? Hmm...

Last edited by mamero on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the culprits!

This is them installed on a Phantom Race.

Last edited by mamero on Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Anyone have experience with UltraLight footstraps?

I finally went to put the supplied straps on the Futura last night and was promptly halted. For the first time I took an up close look at the supplied straps. The straps supplied with the 2016 and 2017 Futuras are some new kind of UltraLight strap. From what I can see there is NO WAY you can adjust the footstrap size (not position) without a screwdriver. What kind of footstrap requires you to essentially REMOVE the strap just to adjust the size?! That's ridiculous? I understand the idea is to save a few grams in weight with this new design but seriously? Couldn't they still at least allow you to adjust the size of the strap without a tool? This means if I need to adjust the size of the strap for whatever reason, I need to leave gear at the the beach, walk all they way back to the car (A long walk when the tide is out), grab a screwdriver, walk all the way back to the shore, loosen or remove the straps with the screwdriver, adjust the size, put the straps back on, walk all the way back to the car to put the screwdriver away, then walk back to the shore. All this when they could just put some simple adjustment (Velcro) on the damn things. Am I missing something with these? Hmm...

These straps aren't new, and they're not ridiculous (but the rest of your observations are mostly correct Smile
The same design (except a different brand, F2, Kona, and many others) is on my stock original 1993 F2 Lightning Raceboard... and my 2017 Kona One... and tons of different shortboards over the years.
You set them at home, or the parking lot. With experience you never need to change them much after that. I like the less bulky design.

coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the new Starboard straps, but I am familiar with these on my Futura as well as other boards.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/windsurf/windsurf-accessories/core-contours-system/

I have been using the Contours for quite a few years now because they are so much more comfortable than adjustable straps. I don't miss the ease of adjust-ability of traditional straps as once I fit my straps they are done. Personal choice but if you don't like them, sell them & buy what you want.

Coachg

P1010034.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  895.2 KB
 Viewed:  16551 Time(s)

P1010034.JPG

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The less bulky design is nice... but for newer sailors who will be adjusting straps more (I used to do this too)... just buy some Chinook or Dakine adjustable straps.
Anyway, your points are valid... I just wanted to give you another perspective.

BTW, knowing about this strap design would've been included in the board description, when you bought it. But I still think you have a valid concern... since they're still brand new, maybe you could trade them back to the dealer, for some adjustable designs (velcro sandwich style).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: