myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I need a sail for Wind Foil Surfing in light winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Naish shop they mentioned Robby is close to or over 200 lbs.

I was not asking but we were talking about his light wind foil video and they mentioned Robby is a big guy too so it should work even better for me.

In general though a heavier rider might need a larger sail everything else being equal.

A friend here foils and he is 230 lbs. He uses a larger sail. Yesterday he was sailing a 5.5, I was on a 3.5. Keep in mind he still uses a smaller sail than he used to use for regular windsurfing.

I do not see weight as an obstacle to foiling. Antoine Albeau is 216 lbs., and it just makes him faster as he can hold down more power in the sail.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way that Robby Naish weighs 200 lbs. I seriously doubt that he weighs over 175, if even that. During the days when Naish was competing in pro slalom competitions, he having difficulty competing with the bigger guys that usually dominated the slalom events, even when he was wearing extra weight which was allowed at that time.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with Swchandler - I am close to 200 lbs in the off season (we're same height) and he is no where close..

my guess he's around 170-175

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

He just looks like a big guy because ..well.. you know, .. he's Robby!

-Craig

p.s. Dale Cook is about 5'10" and I'm pretty sure he's close to 2 bills.
p.p.s. I am 6'3" and I weigh in at about 190 these days.

swchandler wrote:
There is no way that Robby Naish weighs 200 lbs. I seriously doubt that he weighs over 175, if even that. During the days when Naish was competing in pro slalom competitions, he having difficulty competing with the bigger guys that usually dominated the slalom events, even when he was wearing extra weight which was allowed at that time.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
At the Naish shop they mentioned Robby is close to or over 200 lbs.
I was not asking but we were talking about his light wind foil video and they mentioned Robby is a big guy too so it should work even better for me.
In general though a heavier rider might need a larger sail everything else being equal.
A friend here foils and he is 230 lbs. He uses a larger sail. Yesterday he was sailing a 5.5, I was on a 3.5. Keep in mind he still uses a smaller sail than he used to use for regular windsurfing.
I do not see weight as an obstacle to foiling. Antoine Albeau is 216 lbs., and it just makes him faster as he can hold down more power in the sail.

*Well that's weird to me. Because I would not disagree with what they're telling you at the Naish shop. But back in the day, Robby was more like 165-180, like all are saying. From that recent close-up foiling vid, it looks like he's gotten a bit bigger. But most people would NOT call him a BIG guy, and I'd be very surprised if he's close to 200 lbs.
*In general, a heavier rider absolutely NEEDS a larger sail, everything else being equal.
*Your 230 lb friend foils with a 5.5 in the same conditions you at 155 foils with a 3.5m sail. That sounds about right. Of course, he's using a smaller sail foiling, than regular windsurfing... everyone does... that's the deal.
*Weight is an obstacle, only in light wind foiling (5-15 mph stuff). Lighter weight folks will always get going in less wind, than heavier folks (all else being equal). None of us can look at things Robby does... or Antoine does... and think "I can get going in that wind, just like they do".

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, they might have exaggerated to make it sound even better.

My point though is just because you are 200 lbs. or more is not a reason not too foil.

At my location we have 3 other very active foilers like myself so far.

I am the only light weight. I believe the other 3 are all 200 plus.

I mention this to address Joe's question where he said:

"which means no need to look at foiling for the big boys ??"

So my answer is the big boys are enjoying it just as much, they just use a bigger sail.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:

If you are referring to Wed, Jan 17 at Kailua beach I would hardly call that light wind. For me at 170 lbs the graph is showing 4.7/85 or 93 liter conditions.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach, not sure what you mean.

Wednesday was blowing hard at Kailua Beach. I was overpowered at times on the 3.5 Superfreak.

In the paragraph you quote I do not see any mention of light wind.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just above your paragraph it says "need a sail for Wind Foil Surfing in light winds".

I was pointing out that most people would not consider foiling with a 3.5 as light wind.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach, now I understand.

I guess the thread went off course.

I will probably update again once I get another session on the Flyer 7.0 in light wind. My last session was very light wind yet I had the max down haul and out haul as I expected the wind to come up and was not sure how the sail would handle in higher winds.

After speaking with Bruce I feel I understand the sail better and can rig it better for light wind.

It will be interesting to see if there is a nice difference when rigged for light wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: