myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4.0 or 4.8 Aerotech WindSUP?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 2189

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go and play golf! Laughing (What's that all about??)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ittiandro



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 238

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Raceboard specific technique stuff:

A huge factor in getting fast subplaning speeds (specifically up wind) with a raceboard is known as "railing". You apply downward pressure through the harness with the centerboard down (and mast base forward). This allows the board to roll to leeward which actually reduces the width (because you are on the rail) and increases waterline length a little (because the nose rocker is pushed into the water by the forward mast base).
You also get some lift from the tilted centerboard which further reduces drag.

None of which is possible with a wide board having a weak centerboard and non-adjustable mast track.


You say that if you want to go upwind and you apply weight on the rail ( supposedly the windward rail) with the centerboard down , the board will roll leeward.
Suppose that your board is on a 9 o’clock course and that you want to bring it closer upwind: if you bank on the windward rail ( centerboard down) won’t the board roll windward ( i.e. upwind) , rather than leeward ( regardless of whether or not the centerboard is down)?

Ittiandro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ittiandro



Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 238

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Raceboard specific technique stuff:

A huge factor in getting fast subplaning speeds (specifically up wind) with a raceboard is known as "railing". You apply downward pressure through the harness with the centerboard down (and mast base forward). This allows the board to roll to leeward which actually reduces the width (because you are on the rail) and increases waterline length a little (because the nose rocker is pushed into the water by the forward mast base).
You also get some lift from the tilted centerboard which further reduces drag.

None of which is possible with a wide board having a weak centerboard and non-adjustable mast track.


You say that if you want to go upwind and you apply weight on the rail ( supposedly the windward rail) with the centerboard down , the board will roll leeward.
Suppose that your board is on a 9 o’clock course and that you want to bring it closer upwind: if you bank on the windward rail ( centerboard down) won’t the board roll windward ( i.e. upwind) , rather than leeward ( regardless of whether or not the centerboard is down)?

Ittiandro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gregnw44



Joined: 23 Jul 2008
Posts: 742
Location: Seattle, Wa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
Raceboard specific technique stuff:

A huge factor in getting fast subplaning speeds (specifically up wind) with a raceboard is known as "railing". You apply downward pressure through the harness with the centerboard down (and mast base forward). This allows the board to roll to leeward which actually reduces the width (because you are on the rail) and increases waterline length a little (because the nose rocker is pushed into the water by the forward mast base).
You also get some lift from the tilted centerboard which further reduces drag.

None of which is possible with a wide board having a weak centerboard and non-adjustable mast track.


You say that if you want to go upwind and you apply weight on the rail ( supposedly the windward rail) with the centerboard down , the board will roll leeward.
Suppose that your board is on a 9 o’clock course and that you want to bring it closer upwind: if you bank on the windward rail ( centerboard down) won’t the board roll windward ( i.e. upwind) , rather than leeward ( regardless of whether or not the centerboard is down)?

Ittiandro

Another well said post back there GT Smile
And also Grant, too!

And no, Ittiandro, that's not what Grant said. See above. He didn't say anything about applying pressure to the rail... and you do not bank the windward rail.
As he said, "railing" is rolling the board towards it's leeward rail. And you do this as he said. But more common, to get the board railed onto the leeward rail, is to use your feet!! There's two ways to do this. In very light wind (what I normally have) with your back foot perpendicular to the board's centerline, and the arch of your foot on the centerline, you press down with your toes. The point is, do whatever you need, to get the board railed over a bit. The second way is in higher wind, like scattered caps and more, with your feet in the railing straps (which raceboards have) you lift up against the straps... and this rolls the board to leeeward.
Some other longboards like Kona One's and your Bic Windsup do not have railing straps. However you will see good Kona sailors rolling their board to leeward when sailing upwind. Without railing straps, they do this by getting their feet wherever they need to be, to roll the board a bit to leeward. (Many will will apply foot pressure, sideways to the centerboard knob.)

_________________
Greg
Longboarding since '81
Shortboarding since '84
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 2189

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I fitted a big knob (snigger, snigger) to the top of my Kona centreboard, parltly for that purpose Greg, but mostly to make it quick and easier to fully raise or lower by a flick of the foot, through those sticky gaskets.

Naturally, I carefully measured to make sure the board would fully lower to the vertical, and fully raise before drilling and bolting a sawed in half skateboard wheel (sliced top to bottom to give two equal halves) to the board top. (Anything for a slight edge on others! Laughing )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grantmac017



Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 488

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight the harness to take weight if your feet and hence the rail. Much easier on a thinner board with more powerful centerboard.
I have a pair of hockey pucks on either side of the centerboard head on my Lightning because the original rubber was rotting from UV which I push on in very light conditions.

If you really get powered up while railing you may find that you need to transfer weight back into your feet, but that takes a lot of speed.

Beam reaching on a raceboard depends a lot on wind speed as to whether you run the centerboard down and rail or retract and plane.


None of these techniques really apply to short wide boards with small centerboards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 2189

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In trying to understand the compulsion to keep windsurfing in poor conditions, regardless of years already spent and accumulated experience, I long ago concluded that it is not the search for excitement (if ever it really was) but the strange sense of satisfaction that comes from continuity, and repeating known actions.

How else to explain why I needed to be pratting about beneath a drizzly thick grey squally sky in a raw cold breeze, just to keep a moderate plane on the old Exocet Cross 118, in choppy dirty looking estuary waters? (Not exactly rad to gnarr!)

I can't say it was enjoyable (nor could a solitary kiting friend) but we both knew that we would have 'un-enjoyed' ourselves even more had we not bothered. I can only conclude that addiction to the sea, and an inability to keep out of it, is the driving force, and hence, a relief. It means there is no necessity to worry about losing the will, or the supposed need to ever be improving. (Not possible with age and eventually stiffening joints.) It's safe to assume the addiction will always last!

So, in my book of life, that's cause for happiness. here's looking forward!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrgybe



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 4448

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GT. I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon in frigid temperatures, shoveling 8 inches of snow off my drive on the Outer Banks (an exceptional snowfall for this part of the world) so that I could get out windsurfing today if there was any breeze. As she always does in these rather inhospitable conditions, my wife asked "Why on earth would anyone want to go windsurfing in this weather". Now all I have to do is print off your post and silently hand it to her as I head out!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 2189

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite welcome sir. Some of us are not 'snowflakes.'

Nice to know that I'm in good company!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cgoudie1



Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Posts: 2121
Location: Killer Sturgeon Cove

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are gnarly tough, but do you have one of these?

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
You are quite welcome sir. Some of us are not 'snowflakes.'

Nice to know that I'm in good company!



penguin1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Viewed:  1931 Time(s)

penguin1.jpg


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group