myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mest extension/base compatibility
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Mest extension/base compatibility Reply with quote

Are all base/extension created equal?

I know chinook euro pin will fit into a streamline extension....and i assume a streamiline base will fit into a chinook.

How about the others? North, NP, Severne and the rest....mainly interested in the euro pin version.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streamlined bases come like others in a unit with the tendon and pin or separate deck plate , the deck plate version with 2 bolts IMO so far IMO works with Streamined UPPER ED tendon, only

The upper part. Does work with Chinook mast extension

The Streamlined base has narrow holes to allow more adjustment.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh ..i forgot about the bottom part.

anyone know if a North extension will fit a chinook euro pin (top part)?
I thought i read that North has their own system ?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, North was the original developer of the Euro-pin design, and that Streamlined used their pin in their products. Chinook came along later using a more stout version of the North pin design in their stainless steel universal, because it was configured as a single piece (the pin and the top part of the universal above the tendon are integrated as one machined component).

I should point out that the very first run of Chinook's stainless steel universal was manufactured with a flaw in the pin that didn't allow it to integrate with Streamlined's extension. I have one, and it wouldn't engage and lock in place when inserted into the Streamlined extension. Yet, there were no problems with it working in Chinook extensions. Chinook ultimately corrected the problem in subsequent manufacturing runs.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyking:

This a question I have always wanted definitively answered.

I have a mix of Chinook and Streamlined bases and extensions in my gear bag, and I have always been weary to mix and match, but I have been able to do it so far. I won't do it in waves for fear it could be an issue. This past spring, I asked Phil Soltysiak, and he thought it should be fine which put my mind at ease.

This past year, I bought a Severne extension since I was running a 460 RDM in my 6.3m2 Freek to boost its low end performance. I have used it with the Streamilined europin base with no issues so far. Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, I think that you can expect compatibility in today's mast extensions and universals, regardless of brand. But in the end, it all has to do with design integrity, quality and ultimately, dependability.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offer this agaian, the Streamlined bolt on base, accepts the tendon upper unit from Streamlined, the Chinook one does not fit into the base.

I reckon that the design could have changed and the Chinook now fits.
If this presented a purchase issue I would contact Streamlined or Both Chinook and them, both have stellar customer support.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i have found and asked....the euro-pin seems to be standard across brands. the base or bottom end is different.... look at North's base (2bolt), it is entirely different from chinook.

still debating if i should try that north extension with the builtin winch....it would allow on the water downhaul adjustments with my slalom sails...which have high tension.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One recent thread

http://forums.boards.co.uk/showthread.php/78683-North-XT2-(ratchet)-with-Ezzy-sails

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jaybaldwin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
from what i have found and asked....the euro-pin seems to be standard across brands. the base or bottom end is different.... look at North's base (2bolt), it is entirely different from chinook.

still debating if i should try that north extension with the builtin winch....it would allow on the water downhaul adjustments with my slalom sails...which have high tension.

I use the North Power XT ratchet system with a Chinook Europin Single bolt tendon universal. This combo works fine. Never had a problem. I do have North Sails so the pulleys are compatible with the loop and go rope system. Very convenient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: