myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mini van equipment organization tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
bred2shred wrote:
lethal projectile
very dramatic! Wink
This is minivan, not maxy. Not much room in there. Noses of boards on the rack are touching back of driver seat. There is not much play. They are not going forward anywhere. Bungee cords needed mostly to keep boards from sliding on rack from side to side on turns.
This is how rack looks now without boards.

The projectile concern is legitimate. If you've got it covered by your boards being limited by the driver's seat, great. In my van the forward rack upright is narrower than any of the boards, so they can't slide forward. I use bungees so they don't bounce and dent.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put boards in my car, I use a standard webbing tie down strap between the seat floor anchors and the grab handle above the door to secure the boards.

I suppose everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion on what's safe enough, but when you start to think about the forces involved and what can and does happen during crashes at highway speeds or head-on collisions, the notion of using a two dollar bungee cord to secure a 20 Lb object right next to you or behind your head seems pretty foolish IMO. But maybe that whole family and steady job thing has just made me a prude (not to mention a ruined surfer...).

sm
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the boards are securely fastened, in the unlikely event of a severe rear impact (if you are at a stop for instance), the boards could be pushed by the car behind and impale through the back of the seat.

Possibly consider mounting them on the passenger side (if its empty) or in the middle where they spear through?
motogon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
Even if the boards are securely fastened, in the unlikely event of a severe rear impact (if you are at a stop for instance), the boards could be pushed by the car behind and impale through the back of the seat.

Possibly consider mounting them on the passenger side (if its empty) or in the middle where they spear through?
Yes, I was thinking about that too. Reason I put rack on driver side is - on passenger side it will block windows on right side and I routinely drive through few irregular intersections where I need to look right and back to see incoming traffic. I may redesign my rack before season; it's really easy to do with PVC pipe rack.
I’m also considering suspending wide, light wind board to ceiling of the van – upside down, nose first. That may save a lot of room on rack.

westender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use motorcycle tie down straps. You can get all your sails up against the roof then attach another set to the top ones to get boards below. The floor is free for the rest of your stuff. Adjust straps as needed.

starik333 wrote:

I’m also considering suspending wide, light wind board to ceiling of the van – upside down, nose first. That may save a lot of room on rack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: