myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing sail is reality now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killogramm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surferslist wrote:
joethewindsufa wrote:
surferslist wrote:
What would you estimate is the wind range for the 5.0?

NON, no, nein = not again Sad
please read the 22 pages here and then ask for a 7-oh

I read the 21 pages a week ago and I'm not combing through it again, thank you! Wink

He really should have that info on his website, but I can't find it.
Hi Derek! If I remember your name correctly. Wingsail works and rates differently from traditional sail. It is not much about sail size , it is more about sailors weight. Our 5.0 is good for light sailor 120 lb of so, 5.8 is for heavier sailor about 180 lb. Both sails designed to get board on the plain from 14 kt , I don't know upper limit but the highest I've been is 42 kt . Our sail is different from other wing sails that has been tested in the past because our sail reveres in the front section , where is all lift generated. As it is now we are working on next sail size, 6.5. But I don't know yet how it will behave in reality, but will be stated on web as soon as tested. As you know I was making plans to go to Florida around Jan 22 , but still not clear because not all carbon parts are ready. Hope to see you in Fla when we come down for sail testing. About my quiver. As past 3 years each time I go sailing I have only one sail in my car. I target wind from 14 kt and whatever comes. More is better. Actually I have two sails in the car 1 for me and 1 for my wife. In my past I use to have 4.5, 5.4, 5.7, 6.5 , and 7.0 but use it very rare because no fun. Cheers!
surferslist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stan, thanks for your response. The main reason I ask is because I don't have a 460 mast. I have a mast to rig the 5.0 and I'm wondering how efficient it is in light wind - if it can be made to work in lighter winds for someone of my size, 180lb. I'm used to sailing smaller and efficiently, given my size. My quiver tops out with a 5.6 that I use when it's only 15-18knots. I don't have the space for a big mast, big board, etc. If I can get more out of your 5.0 than I currently do my 5.6, then it'd be attractive to switch, especially considering I'd only use it for flat-water/recreational sailing and possibly foiling (if I ever get the chance to get into that). Guess I'll have to wait to try it sometime! My plans for a road trip to FL have been push back to probably Feb 7-11, but not yet confirmed. Please PM me on Facebook to let me know you're heading south.

What's in your quiver?
killogramm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=
push back to probably Feb 7-11, but not yet confirmed. Please PM me on Facebook to let me know you're heading south.[/quote] Hi Derek!

Last edited by killogramm on Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
leto

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mates. I had a chance to test ride the MW Black-yellow 6.5m model a few days in Hatteras, NC. Very cool sail. One sail can cover pretty much any wind you throw at it with very progressive and controlled power delivery and speed.
I'm not a speed junkie but for racers it means you basically just need one sail that can cover wind from say 15 to close to 40 knots.
A few adjustments I had to make are that the sail pulls more forward almost immediately and I had to learn to grab the boom more when tacking. Big companies tell us they innovate sail designs but I really have doubts when I saw MW sails.

Found a video from Hatteras here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mimt2-4qlrs
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have one of this for sale,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/425661507450784/permalink/2196198550397062/?sale_post_id=2196198550397062
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leto wrote:
... I'm not a speed junkie but for racers it means you basically just need one sail that can cover wind from say 15 to close to 40 knots ...

It is frankly annoying to keep reading regurgitated nonsense such as a "6.5 sail that can be used in 15 to 40 knots", and supposedly for racing! Why try to fool fellow windsurfers into believing that donkeys can fly? Question Question Question
leto

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DvCali, when you look up one day and do see a flying donkey don't tell us you weren't warned. Smile Cheers mate.

Last edited by leto on Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as handling a 6.5 in 15-40 knots, I seriously doubt that it can be done in very rough long fetch open ocean conditions in over 25 knots average wind speeds.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted before that it's not wind range of the sail, it's control of the board in the chop of 40 knot winds.

Assuming flat water and a 40 knot wind, the only way it can work is for the sail to somehow depower as wind, apparent wind, board speed and board drag increase. The speed sailors are big, heavy and wear weights, just to hold down the force in the sail. How does the force in the wing sail (balanced by the sailor) not increase as the wind builds, assuming one is not sheeting out to keep from being launched to the moon?

We just need a few expert sailors testing in a variety of winds.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leto wrote:
DvCali, when you look up one day and do see a flying donkey don't tell us you weren't warned. Smile Cheers mate.

Sure, all my good luck to you, making a donkey fly will put you straight into aviation history.

But for now post the youtube showing the wing 6.5 in 40 knots of wind Razz for now we have seen the one in 15 knots! Embarassed

Last edited by dvCali on Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 23 of 25

Jump to: