myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The SUP style of foiling
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: The SUP style of foiling Reply with quote

I remember reading an article somewhere recently talking about the joys of windsurfing with a low-aspect surf/sup style hydrofoil.

Since I spend a lot of time SUP'ing as well as windsurfing, and I have been getting hooked on SUP downwinders, I have been considering getting a crossover sup/wind foil when the inevitable time comes for my entry into the foiling arena.

Does anyone have experience with this approach who could compare the ease and other pros and cons of sailing a sup style foil like the GoFoil with a sailing a regular windfoil?

I notice Starboard is marketing one of their foil sups as a windsurfable crossover.

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to come out west & do some downwinders on Lake Tahoe. Beautiful & epic.

You could also look at one of these. https://vimeo.com/217072049

I considered it but opted for the dedicated foil board as I also use my SUP for non-wind days at Tahoe/Donner & I didn't think this board would flat water SUP very well.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do i get the question correct..what are the joys of windsurfing with a sup/surf foil board ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James, yes, the wave type foils are super fun to windsurf on! The following is all super generalized bullet points, and there will definitely be exceptions to the rule depending on brands and models of foil, but here are some of the things you might expect:

You can expect lift off at slightly lower board speeds than with most windsurf foils. As such, you can generally run smaller sails in lighter wind and still get going. Flip side of that equation is that if the wind comes up, the surf foils may end up being harder to control, but you probably won't recognize that until it's gusting up to or over 20 mph, or if your sail is way too big for whatever wind speed you're dealing with.

The surf foils will generally top out in max speed sooner than most windsurf foils, so if you're trying to drag race anyone you might get frustrated. That said, they're still plenty fast to be really fun, so if you're cruising around alone you'll still feel super fast.

Many of the windsurf foils like to have a bit of sail power, so you might find yourself sheeting in and taking a more powerful stance on a windsurf foil.

Many of the surf foils will keep flying with the most ludicrously small amount of sail power that you could ever imagine, so you can just hover along fully sheeted out and using two fingers worth of power to keep the whole rig flying. Super fun!

The surf foils may feel more responsive and playful, while the windsurf foils may feel more locked in and straight line oriented.

You can expect to use a really upright stance with a surf foil, riding more vertically on top of the foil, rather than leaning back and splitting your weight between the foil and sail.

You might consider going with a brand that offers multiple wings/masts/fuselages on the same platform- that way you can optimize for different uses in the future if you feel like you want to fine tune the ride for different sports. But in the short term, sailing on a surf foil is really fun, and way easier to do than surfing on a sailing foil would be.

http://wind-nc.com
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Starboard missed the boat by putting the mast track in their 105L rather than the 130L. Really limits it to lightweight riders.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, regarding your recommendation of a foil with modular components for different foiling styles, what would be some examples? I notice the starboard windsurf foil system is modular, but they show their sup/windsurf crossover with a GoFoil, which makes me think starboard's own modular system doesn't span all the way to sup-suitable foils.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Andy, regarding your recommendation of a foil with modular components for different foiling styles, what would be some examples? I notice the starboard windsurf foil system is modular, but they show their sup/windsurf crossover with a GoFoil, which makes me think starboard's own modular system doesn't span all the way to sup-suitable foils.

There are a few- Slingshot for sure. Their "H2" front wing is labelled as being SUP/Surf/Wakeboard/Windsurf freindly, so that is a one stop shopping solution. They also make some other (smaller) wings that are great for higher wind/higher performance windsurfing/kiting. And an even larger front wing that would be more oriented to surf/sup than the H2. All of that can go on the same fuselage, with 4 different mast lengths available and two different mounts- "pedestal" or deep tuttle.

Naish is another great option with their Thrust surf foil. Similar system overall, with tuttle, deep tuttle, and pedestal mounts, 3 different mast lengths, and a few different front wings available.

MFC hasn't announced anything surf oriented yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if something surfaced soon, so that might be another great option in the future.

I'm sure that there are many more, but those are the first few that jump to mind.

http://wind-nc.com
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: DIY Hydrofoil wing Reply with quote

I have a Bic Windsup and I am planning to make a “ back to the basics’’ DIY hydrofoil ( or..quasi-hydrofoil!)
I have seen people DIY’ing in various clever ways, like joining two fins back to back or even cutting the wing out of a sheet of marine plywood and then sanding one face crosswise from leading edge to trailing edge , to taper it down , like the cross-section of an airplane wing .

Whichever way I make it, my bar is low: I only want to have the board lift off the water in light winds , enough to skim or plane probably 10-20 cm above at most. I wouldn’t go into those elaborate two-wings contraptions flying 1 mt above the water . Too complicated and expensive, for my needs.

I would just attach the wing to the end of a 34-38 cm fin. I can’t use longer fins because the water is very shallow here and the fin box is a US box. I weigh 85 kg.

I wonder if anybody has done something similar and can comment on this, particularly about the ideal wingspan and the width .
The board in the fin box area is about 55 cm wide. The fin box is US. box.

1.Can I assume that the wider the wing surface (wingspan and width) the better the lift.
I am not an engineer, but I know that the drag can be an issue . So may be the drag perhaps poses a limit to the shape and the dimensions ( wingspan and width) should in proportion or respect a correlation..

2. Does it make a difference whether the winglets on each side point up or down ?
3. In some of the photos, there are short 90 degr. downward protrusions at the tips of the wing or in some cases the tips are curled up. Essential or quasi-esthetic variations on the same ...Bach fugue?

Thanks

Francone
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francone- My impression is that foils must have a fuselage with both a large front wing and a smaller rear wing to sustain stable flight. I also think that the vertical mast must be fairly long to avoid the board slapping the tops of the waves or the hydrofoil wings breaking the water's surface, although I notice that Slingshot offers a "training" mast that is only 40 cm long.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe first decide on the dimensions you need for somewhat comfortable SUP, then consider any one of 12 different company SURF type foils..all with sub 50 cm masts and low aspect front wings, then go thru the catalogs and check out their SUP style board offerings that work with the 4 hole plate or deep tuttle attachment systems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: