myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board turns upwind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and date joined doesn't indicate skill level.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's great about where this thread went is the stoke level. We have a bunch of windsurfers arguing about how best to sail when there isn't enough wind to plane. Whether on the biggest boards, or shlogging smaller boards, or switching off between the two, we'd all be out there with Gurgletrousers,

having a nice glide, or

working on techniques useful on high wind days, or

light wind freestyle.

On the water!

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear sir!!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
So, unless one lives at a place where the wind never shuts down, the best thing to do is remember the tips given on this thread, and try them out next time the wind drops.

This is a great point. If you have been getting plenty of planing days then taking a break & playing around light wind won't be an issue. But if you have not been in the straps in weeks then you are more likely to grab your biggest board & sail & pump till the cows come home to get going.

PS. Blasting is not a core skill.

Coachg
westender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get good, looking for the easy way to do everything is not the way, but, I wouldn't spend a whole day doing frustrating things.

I see more sailors who's problem is that they don't know how to handle a fully powered sail. They're the ones who end up doing all the shlogging.

From a windy area perspective.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
If you want to get good, looking for the easy way to do everything is not the way, but, I wouldn't spend a whole day doing frustrating things.

I see more sailors who's problem is that they don't know how to handle a fully powered sail. They're the ones who end up doing all the shlogging.

From a windy area perspective.

+2

-Craig (also from a windy area perspective)
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Getting Better Reply with quote

Agree with you guys from another windy area. Some people are willing to put in the time to get better, others are not. Those that do not put in the time do get better, it just takes much longer. Still, both are having fun.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to PUSH to get better.

I find that I get a bit lazier as I get older. For example, I have never been good at tacking a small board in light winds, basically because I almost never need to (no surf sailing). However I have had plenty of opportunities when visiting the OBX on light wind days, with SHALLOW WATER, and didn't take advantage. An obvious opportunity to work on a somewhat basic skill that I have ignored. I pledge to do better this year.

Every minute on a board makes you better, but repetition is the key to getting better faster.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

Every minute on a board makes you better, but repetition is the key to getting better faster.

Repetition is practicing. If what you're practicing doesn't work or is mediocre, you get better at failing or being mediocre.

The way to get better faster is with quality instruction. It's the multiplier for time on the water. It makes practice far more worthwhile.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop where I used to work, we would always cringe when a customer talked about "practicing" windsurfing.

The word practicing conjures up images of spending hours working on scales on a violin, mastering the technique of dribbling a soccer ball, or some other mundane activity designed to achieve academic perfection.

Most of us want to improve our skills, but not at the sacrifice of having fun.

So I agree that if you have the time and desire to go out in 5mph wind on a sinker and practice non-planing skills, go for it - you will definitely improve. But if there's enough wind to plane, I can guarantee you I personally would not be caught using any gear that doesn't increase my odds of planing - get me in the footstraps, on plane, carving, jumping, doing the fun stuff. When you have fun, it will inherently draw you back, you will want to sail more, and you will naturally improve in all aspects.

Life's too short to schlog on purpose.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: