myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I need a sail for Wind Foil Surfing in light winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points again Coach. There are a lot of fun ways to windsurf.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mission accomplished.

Yesterday the wind came down as I was rigging. Everyone came off the water. There was one light wind kite foiler left. His kite dropped so he came out of the water. The consensus was it was too light for everything and no one else attempted to go out.

I decided to give it a go with my Flyer 7.0. To my surprise I was able to get up in the gusts and keep going through the lulls. It would take me from 4 seconds to 30 seconds to catch the right gust to get up, and once up I had plenty of wind.

I would say the Flyer 7.0 has as much low end pull if not more than my Ezzy Zephyr which claims to have the pull of an 8.5 sail. However, the 7.0 is much lighter feeling than the Zephyr and as I mentioned before it handles the gusts and higher wind with very little problems.

The day before the wind was stronger, and I used my Flyer 6.0. Another sailor was using a Hucker 6.0 on regular equipment and was powered up, so there was plenty of wind. The Flyer 6.0 handled the higher wind great even though I should have been on the Flyer 5.2. My point is the range is really good on these sails too.

Thanks Greg for suggesting this sail and thanks to Bruce and Sailworks for making such a great foiling sail!

Very Happy
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could the SW Flyer 7.0 be used on longboards ?
i mean be as efficient as the Ezzy Zephyr ...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely a Flyer would be a really good light wind longboard sail. I mentioned that obvious thing to Sailworks last summer. I said they should do an 8.5 as a next size. A good windfoil sail size for a big guy in light wind, and a good light wind longboatd sail.
One thing, however, I suspect... it it very light for it's size. I assume it's made with light weight material, and does not have all the reinforcements of typical sails, since 2000-ish. Therefore probably not good for novices crashing into it constantly. Or experts catapulting into into it in high wind. I would take care of it, to make it last.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, from my perspective I can't say because the sailing style is so different.

On my long board the Zephyr was awesome, my most used sail. I was constantly leaning out against it and that took a lot of the weight out of the sail.

Also every pull from the wind I just drove down into the board for more speed, so I never had any stability issues. My Kona Carb One was so long, stable, and fast that it could really handle anything.

I have to admit I miss that feeling. You might get me back out on my long board again. LOL

On the foil my stance is very upright. The only time I really need the sail pulling is that initial boost to get in the air. After that I like it to feel light and just give a little pull, and if I am on a swell no pull at all.

So Greg and Bruce could answer that question better. If I do go out on my long board again I will take my Zephyr because it has proven itself so many times.
tferrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Northwave, Sinewave Reply with quote

Don't forget to consider the Northwave Sinewave. The company will send you a sail or 2 to demo. Just give them a call for the program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: