myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Older Race Board(EquipeII)Vs New Starboard 380/377
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Dim for the offer to take a spin on the Tuttle.....more inclined to Vist Utah for the Powder form of H2O sounds tempting........
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I've done as much shortboarding and surfing as any, but I feel that a great day on the longboard, in wonderful isolated sea surroundings, can have an effect on the soul that locks into the memory for ever.

Well said. I'm on a longboard maybe 15-20 times a year, compared to > 100 times on a shortboard, but a good longboard cruising session always stands out.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.

[quote="boardsurfr"]
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I've done as much shortboarding and surfing as any, but I feel that a great day on the longboard, in wonderful isolated sea surroundings, can have an effect on the soul that locks into the memory for ever.

Well said.

jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying this discussion - maybe a little OT but related

I’ve been indulgent with longboards in my last 5 years of being a “keen beginner”

Early adopter of the Kona as it got me out having fun in more variable winds than my trainer fanatic viper did, however I’m embarrassed to say I didnt preservers with it long enough, haven’t been in straps blasting on it. Did have some good powered up runs in my before straps days.

Why did I park it in the shed? A friend gave me a go on a F2 lightning - the first puff of wind and I was seduced. Been riding both F2 and Starboard 377 when longboard urge gets to me and my mates are up for a cruise. Being a very slow learner the inability to slow gybe the long boards have me on fat short boards more often in low winds practicing manoeuvres

My sailing group do less longboard sessions these days since going over to fat short boards. The ruin of our group occurred a few years ago when we were truly humbled by a mate on a 85cm wide isonic who could get going in what was exciting powered up longboard winds and then absolutely smoke us - slowly most of the longboards in the group got sold as they transitioned to SLW type gear. One of our group has now got a foil going - another change on the way....??

My takeaway from this thread is to pull out the Kona again (fix the withered gaskets - find bigger straps) and reassess it. Present,y it gets used when friends find big starter boards frustrating in light winds - with the Kona they can go out and get away from beach for a sail out into the lake = confidence boosting

Cheap old longboard vs phantomm377. F2 does the job.... much less vulnerable -Phantom377 more exciting onto plane earlier and a little more stable for this ‘balance impaired’ tryhard Embarassed Confused

Do still enjoy those rare days with my mates on longboards as we tend to sail together as a group more than when we are on short boards

Cheers Jeff

Ps Still have long term plan to do course racing (got to get gybing sorted) - still going to race training with my son most weekends dreaming of the day we can go out together for a race at the club. So my main longboard sailing is in Saturday morning race board practice where I sail the rio Longtail (a hybrid?) as I don’t fall of it as often and it fits in with the other sailors = mainly upwind downwind course sailing starts etc...

PPS. At the racing last week in light winds - all board types ...race boards, formula, rsx and Bic techno293... a new benchmark was established.....
Usually the race boards win in light fickle winds with formula boards dominating as the winds lift. In winds that were truly blessed for the longboard crew (mainly 377s) a formula board with a foil smoked them.... able to point as high and travel with ‘reports have it’ twice the board speed
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qNB1Ie8-k

-Craig

SeaDawg wrote:
Thx Dim for the offer to take a spin on the Tuttle.....more inclined to Vist Utah for the Powder form of H2O sounds tempting........
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than tempting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: