myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic techno 148
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Bic techno 148 Reply with quote

Looking at a used Techno 148 in good shape ( last years model )

I would appreciate any comments on this board.
Seems very durable and I love that it doesn't have a vent to forget.
Obviously different than most newer freerides in this way.

I am an early intermediate windsurfer. Inland lakes mostly, occasionally go to Hatteras as well.

Any comments on suitability of this board / performance characteristics etc.
Any disadvantages I need to know about?

Otherwise I sail a Kona

Thanks
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any personal experience with that board, but I did have the 283 years ago. This newer board is wider, shorter with similar volume and is designed for novice to intermediate sailors working on "short" board skills.

I would guess that it does everything well, but is not outstanding. It's a little heavy and how much you weight and your skills will determine how quickly it planes. It's designed for planing, but slogging would be ok with it's volume.

Don't worry about vent plugs, I have three boards with them and essentially, never touch them. Always closed in temps from 15 to over 100 degrees. Two are 10 yrs old. The O rings do deteriorate so checking them every few years and replacing or lubricating (silicone) will work. Two Starboards and one Tabou.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bic boards are great. They are reasonable priced, do everything pretty good and best of all are hard to break. Lots of older folks at South Padre island use this board for lite winds. I have pretty good new boards and I can tell you that the Techno is hard to keep up with. The one issue is the non skid can wear off quickly. You can resurface the deck or just wear booties. They tend to be pretty heavy and take just a hint more wind to get up on a plane. Once up to speed they are pretty fast and ride nice in the chop. My big board only weight 15 lbs. Its easy to carry, goes fast and flies off the chop. All good things for me with 35 years doing this crazy thing. Make a mistake and its pretty easy to damage my board. For you at your level the Bic will hold up to the mishaps that your sure to encounter. As you progress you will need a smaller board but the Techno will be a great lite wind board to keep...
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet on 21.5 lbs., with straps, no fin.
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s 1/3 lighter than the Kona -

I love my Kona One and have used it in a wide range of conditions but sometimes it feels like the weight and drag in the water are making me work a lot harder than I need to. Am I right on this?

I am interested in the Techno 148 for sure but does it really give me something I don’t get from the Kona One ?

Keeping in mind my skills are modest and speed is not necessarily a priority but I would like to be comfortable in heavier winds and I wonder if a free ride board like that would be a bit less physical. I don’t need another board for light wind.

Thanks
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question needs to be asked whether such a high volume short board is the best choice. Since you have the Kona for the lightest of winds, I'm wondering whether a short board in the 115 to 125 liter range might be a better choice. Boards in this lower volume range can readily handle larger sails, but they can still handle smaller sails too for more robust windier conditions where rougher water can be in the mix. While they can still be uphauled in lighter winds, they are ultimately better suited to someone that is already waterstarting, or is now ready to move into that realm. That's an important question to ask yourself right now.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh and can you waterstart?
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

190 lb and no
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think swchandler makes a good point. When transitioning from a long board to smaller boards, something around 120-130L with your weight would be a good step down. This assumes that where you sail has stronger winds on occasion that will allow you to eventually get on something smaller (90-110L).

If you live in a less windy location, then the 148 for planing and speed with bigger sails could be the right call. In this case, your smallest board might be in the 110-120L range.

A factor in this decision also depends on your drive and dedication. If you are gung-ho and have some wind, go smaller. If you are an occasional, just have some fun sailor, then the 148 may be the call.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the wind and water conditions where you sail. Also your sail sizing. Going from your Kona to a 115 liter board, at your weight and skill level, is a large step. Might be a frustrating progression. The Techno would be pretty easy to up haul, float you in lite winds and allow you to progress. I think it would be a good test to help you a long the path to high winds and other places to sail. You need to learn to water start. Its easy to do and can be done in very lite winds. Much better for the back and then you can get smaller faster boards and sail anywhere there is wind...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: