myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Family friendly windsurfing vacation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Seinfield put it best: "there really is no such thing as fun for the whole family"

But Aruba came pretty close! The breeze is offshore and the water is flat with some minor swell. But it is the closest to making everyone happy that I've come across.

DC
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no place I'd rather be than on the Outer Banks in the Spring/Fall. Really good consistent wind and if you stay up in Nags Head you'v got a TON for the kids to do. Go Karts, Adventure parks, bumper boats, movies, mini golf, ice cream shops, surf lessons, windsurf lessons, hang gliding and the list goes on and on and that's all within 5 minutes of drive time..... Jockey's Ridge and W. Danube St. in Nags Head offer some great windsurfing conditions from the SE, SW, W, and NW. The Ocean side is insane from the NW N, NE. We have a 3 bed/2bath house rental for you in Nags Head if that's the call for you.

Avon is further South and is typically windier in the earlier spring and fall and is my personal favorite windsurfing spot that I've ever been. There's less for the kids to do other than all sorts of watersports. Ocean Air Sports is there and offers a fleet of really top notch rental gear and windsurf/kitesurf lessons for the whole family. The sound in Avon is waist to chest deep for miles so it's a great spot for the family to learn to windsurf. I also have a condo available to rent right next to Ocean Air Sports with an xbox 360 in it for the kids on rainy days.

Don't go to the Caribbean in the fall. There's no wind at all. Spring in Bonaire is top notch wind wise, but if the family doesn't want to be at the beach or in the water all day, it's going to get old fast. For Bonaire, you've gotta be a water person....

I've talked to people that have recently gone to Aruba and won't go back for windsurfing. They said the scene really has died down there since the hotels got built up and people have discovered Bonaire.

Oh, before I forget, OBX-WIND is definitely worth checking out in April in Avon on the Outer Banks (Cape Hatteras) www.obx-wind.com North America's largest windsurfing event and it's a week long of fun and events. We've even got kid's and women's clinics lined up this year along with all the other clinics.

Mike Burns
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Jerry Seinfield put it best: "there really is no such thing as fun for the whole family"

But Aruba came pretty close! The breeze is offshore and the water is flat with some minor swell. But it is the closest to making everyone happy that I've come across.

DC

I've heard complains that Aruba is touristy, wind sucks, nothing else to do. We found another way to experience Aruba. If you rent away from the monster hotels, rent a car from a local company and ask locals where and when to go, then you may discover different Aruba. As of the wind... It doesn't take too long to get away from the "shadow ", further out it's a good stream of air. Smile
Windaholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since been to Aruba about five years ago and would love to go back. I have to say that it was a great family vacation that include windsurfing. The wind blew so consistently, every day of the week I was there, that I was able to do family stuff all day long and then jump on a kit in the middle the afternoon and finish the afternoon on the water. My wife, three kids, and I had a great time. As far as the wind shadow goes, yes there is a wind shadow but it was very easy to get clear wind and with a couple quick tacks and I was back to the beach. From New Jersey, it was a very easy flight. We left early in the morning got there by lunch. If your interested in a vacation that is easy to get to, has good windsurfing conditions, and will keep the rest of the family happy, then you should consider Aruba.

In my opinion, the biggest downside of Aruba is that the sun is extremely strong. Bring a long sleeve rash guard and lots of sunblock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: