myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic techno 148
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

your numbers contradict themself
this 148 l board is too much for 7.0... best sail for it is 8.0-8.5 (talking only about planning)

Interesting. I would think this board would be ideal with a 7.0 and with his weight able to handle a 6.0 as well. Of course the size of the chop would determine how small a sail he can handle with this board but if the inland lakes he is sailing on are small, then the chop will be as well.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big guy on a lake should have no issues going down to a 6.0 sail on that board. 7.0 would a mid size sail. Like coachg said, its about water conditions. At South padre lots of folks can be seen on 5.5 sails on the 148 Techno.
alap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if 7.0 is perfect for 148, then let me ask you, for the next size, which is naturally 8.5, what would be the perfect board?? next size board naturally to marry next size sail, so something like 170...180? and what should match even bigger sails, like 10.0?

I do sail my 145 liter Fanatic Ray occasionally with 7.0 instead of 8.5 (or to put it differently I rig 7.0 and take 145 liter Ray instead of 130), but that because I hate shlogging, and I also know that no matter what I will rig 50% of a time it will be a wrong guess.

But in ideal conditions, with steady wind if I go with 8.5 I'll take 145, and 6.0 will be matched with 103 liters.

Of course there are cases when I take one size bigger/smaller board/sail - like there is half an hour left in the day and I dont want to rig one more.
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official Bic site suggests ideal sail size at 5.2. - 8.5

Exactly what I ( think ) I want

Interestingly I looked at a similar size free ride board recommending 7 - 9.4

Is this stuff marketing or related to board shape and other tangible differences?
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail range is more a product of board width than volume, so you could say size & shape. If using only volume you end up comparing apples to oranges. The Fanatic Ray is a freerace board & the 145 liter version is going to be 80+ cm wide. The Techno 148 is around 76 cm wide so although the volumes are similar, board shape, width & purpose are far apart. I have a 145 liter Fanatic Falcon that is 85 cm wide which is much closer to the Fanatic Ray in sail range.

Another example would be a 110 liter Isonic & 110 liter Fanatic Hawk. One board is 75.5 wide & the other 65 cm wide. The optimal sail range on both boards is more than a meter apart.

The Techno will be fine with a 5.5 at your weight. I weigh 20 lbs less then you so probably a 6.5 sail would be as small as I would go. I like to pair my 6.0's with 60-70 cm wide boards.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to throw into the mix is skill level. I sailed my 85 liter 3s with a 6.5 when I first got it. I just wanted to give it a ride at my local lake cause it was new. Wasn't perfect but once going it was fun. I sail that same board down to 4.2. Just sayin
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Width, rocker, weight, tail width, rail hardness would determine which bigger board is desireable for 8.5. The best is balanced by fragileness, price, and availibilty.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the deal, you should get the board, it's plenty suitable for your
circumstance. In my orbit, we had a guy (who weighed about 2 bills) that
loved that board.

For a 190lb guy that board will carry an 8.5 no problem. If you're going to
go down to 5.5 I'd recommend a smaller, sweeper style, fin than what it comes with.

If my memory is correct (it's been 30 years), my progression was 220 ltr
BIC, followed by a 145 ltr HiFly followed by a 120 ltr Velocity, followed by
an 85 ltr Bailey. In those days a 145 ltr board would carry a 7.0, but
definitely not an 8.5 (if that size sail was even available in those days).

You'll be wanting a smaller board eventually, but that board will be of
reasonable performance for light wind even after you're proficient on a smaller board.

Frankly the direct to smaller board advice is good also. You should ask yourself
whether you're more inclined towards immediate gratification or delayed
gratification. If you're an immediate type, that BIC will suit you.

-Craig

p.s. A 3 board quiver is pretty standard after you know what you want.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
if 7.0 is perfect for 148, then let me ask you, for the next size, which is naturally 8.5, what would be the perfect board?? next size board naturally to marry next size sail, so something like 170...180? and what should match even bigger sails, like 10.0?

I used to sail my 153 Techno comfortably with an 8.8 race sail and a good fin. I weighed 162. I took a 9.8 out with it a few times too, but that was a bit much.

coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:

For 7.0 probably around 70 cm wide, for 8.5 around 85 cm wide & the 10.0 a 100 cm wide formula. I would not use volume.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: