myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic techno 148
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

For 7.0 probably around 70 cm wide, for 8.5 around 85 cm wide & the 10.0 a 100 cm wide formula. I would not use volume.

Coachg

Pretty close to what I am using - 130 Ray, width 71, 145 Ray width 82 and because I do not have 10 (sold, too big, too unruly) if it is too light I use Formula with same 8.5

that said, 130 is a bit too much to my liking. I am thinking actually with replacing it with something around 110, ~70 cm wide, but definitely in light construction, like Falcon

To my huge surprise (I consider myself just a n intermediate) I feel huge difference between my two Rays, 130 is regular, 145 is light construction. Mainly in pumping over the plane and also when riding it just feels crisp.

Regardless, to OP, this 148 would be huge improvement over Kona. At the same time to plan to use it with 5.0 and 6.0 and even 7.0... IMHO it is possible of course but only if you never try 100 liters. Unfortunately wsrfng requires lots of equipment.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alap,

I notice volume mostly in two occasions. When slogging & when jibing, especially in chop. The Falcon will be lighter, quicker & more nimble then your Ray but if slogging with a 7 or 7.5 it will be much more of a PITA.

Windsurfing doesn't require a huge amount of equipment, it is a choice that many of us make. If the OP stays with his Kona that covers a huge amount of sailing days with one sail but he is choosing to try one of the many disciples of windsurfing, and that requires more equipment.

Coachg
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for it. If you are used to sailing a Kona, but want to move to a smaller board the 148 should be about right. I too sail a Kona and I don't have greatest skills in higher wind 20 knots plus. I purchased a 135 liter RRD Xride in hopes that I would be able to move smaller and improve my skills. The first time I tried to uphaul it I realized I had made a mistake. I have had it 2 years and never sailed it. The 148 should be uphaulable, so if you get out there and crash you can get back. Plus you can learn to waterstart with it. That is one of the reasons I am hesitant to sail the 135. No water start and no uphaul means the tow in of shame.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135 should be easy to up haul. Waterstart = easy to do Just put a little time in at both
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and a longboard can be waterstarted too.
I learned waterstarts on a longboard, like many of us, I'm sure. Started out with the brute force approach - big sail, lots of wind, starting in the middle of the board cuz I couldn't figure out how to prevent the board from rounding up. Then it was a rapid depower of the sail to prevent getting flung over . . . but not too rapid cuz then I would fall back in the other way. It was hard, but the first time I tried it on a shortboard I thought "OMG this is sooo easy!".
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ww.sailflow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18488&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=7740ccefa376c804c40ab15500f9b809

https://chinooksailing.com/products/waterstarter

I found it useful when my kids were learning years ago. As a minimum, it keeps the clew end above water thus easier to fly the sail.
alap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

I notice volume mostly in two occasions. When slogging & when jibing, especially in chop. The Falcon will be lighter, quicker & more nimble then your Ray but if slogging with a 7 or 7.5 it will be much more of a PITA.

Coachg

coach, yes thank you for reinforcing my thoughts.
jibing in chop, when you go downwind and start bouncing of the chop that you now passing - exactly! Plus the power of comparison - when I had only regular construction 130 I was happier; after I bought light construction 145 I know that things may be significantly better on 7.0 Smile

as for shlogging on 7.0, it is the lesser problem for me. If it dies consistently I grab bigger setup.

as for one board does it all, yes, definitely an option, but OP decided to deviate from this paradigm... he probably thinks, oh I'll just buy one extra board and that it Smile This is what I always say to my wife.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell my wife its a safety issue when I want a new board. I think she is catching on after 37 years of new boards
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some useful information.

I think she might buy the safety thing.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for not reading through the entire thread. I likely missed the details expressed, but below are my thoughts.

Changing from a Kona One to a 260cm board will require an adjustment. Every movement of the rig will cause the smaller board to react much more quickly when not planing.

That said, the Bic 148 is a fantastic shape that encourages success when used as a first shortboard. The volume offers stability and safety because the board will shlog fairly flat and steady. Like most modern shortboards, the 148 will benefit from a bit of pumping before it pops onto a plane in marginal conditions. I found this true regardless of how large a sail size used, but consider that this board is more forgiving than other boards when it does enter a plane. The board powers up more gradually than other boards and exhibits a bit less of the bucking that can occur if your are not in both straps.

The 148's rocker and outline jibe smoothly even absent perfect technique. The board encourages the sailor during jibe entry; it feels much the same at various entry speeds and amounts of rig power. In other words, the 148 is very forgiving.

One other detail to note: All boards count on consistent rig power to remain stable. Used in its range, a larger sail should provide greater consistency in the power felt by the the board whereas a smaller sail may not generate the mast bast pressure quite so regularly. The 148's volume is sufficient to split the difference, responding well to sails in the middle of the board's described range when planing. The board requires a top-drawer fin to maximize its stability using the largest of sails. I weigh 175. A not-quite-racing sailor 8.3 was very sweet. A large no-cam sail worked similarly, but again, the recommended mast, aftermarket fin and carbon booms do help keep large sails in check and the Bic 148 screaming along.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: