myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Sailing Sites for Bay water trail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Board Sailing Sites for Bay water trail Reply with quote

http://www.sfba.org/call-to-action/identification-of-boardsailing-sites-for-addition-to-the-bay-water-trail

Identification of Board Sailing Sites for addition to the Bay Water Trail

Dear Boardsailor (Kiters and Windsurfers):

The San Francisco Board Sailing Association (SFBA) is working with the Association of Bay Area Governments / Metropolitan Transportation Commission and its Bay Water Trail representatives to identify and protect access sites in and around San Francisco Bay and the Delta.

In order to protect these sites, the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) and the Bay Water Trail Plan need to identify them on their jurisdiction maps in order to establish and protect existing uses such as boardsailing. SFBA worked closely with BCDC staff in 2005 to designate known boardsailing sites in use at that time, but since then additional sites such as Albany Beach (Racetrack) and Royce’s Beach (Radio Beach) have come into use and are not recognized on the BCDC maps.

We are asking all boardsailors to take a few minutes of your time to provide details about your favorite kiting and windsurfing sites for inclusion in BCDC and Water Trail jurisdiction maps, and for SFBA’s knowledge so we can best represent your interests. For BCDC, it is important to make them aware of all possible sailing sites so they can consider appropriate actions to prevent access prohibitions due to development pressures, complaints and/or competition from other user groups. For Bay Water Trail officials, they are also official advocates for water access and their jurisdiction includes the waters within San Francisco Bay and the Delta, up to the Contra Costa and Solano County borders.

To that end we provide here an outline of the information we need and a link to a google form to make it easier for you to submit the information to us.

Please feel free to do one of the following:

1. Fill in the google questionnaire here:

https://goo.gl/forms/4FzVFMMidhs4Cxpj1

OR IF YOU PREFER

2. Fill in the outline below titled "Site Profile Outline" in a word doc and send it to sfbaboard@gmail.com

Site Profile Outline
(Note: use this outline if you prefer not so submit the google form. In that case, just fill out this outline in Word and email it to sfbaboard@gmail.com)

Water Access
Site location and street/park directions
Access Description
Provide a summary of how the site is used.
Describe where people park, rig, launch and land.
Site Use
High, medium, low. Provide estimated peak numbers.
How long has site been used by boardsailors?
Skill Level:
Advanced, intermediate, beginner? Why?
Parking:
Describe parking location and approximate distance from launch.
Free or paid parking?
Amenities
Restrooms? Fresh water? Etc.
School or Vendors Nearby:
List the names and contact information for on-site or nearby vendors or boardsailing schools.
Site Manager
City? State Parks? Park District? Private?

Site Conditions
Winds
Prevailing direction
Peak season (i.e., May - September).
Tides
Do they affect usability? Mudflats at low tide?
Currents
Do they affect usability? Can they drag you offshore? Etc..
Habitat and Wildlife
Nearby sensitive habitats?
Measures to reduce impact (i.e., don’t trample marsh, stay on levee top).
Other site conditions that affect use?

Safety
Onshore
Describe onshore hazards (riprap shoreline, proximity of other beach users, etc.)
Offshore:
Currents? Boat traffic?
Safety Tips:
How to best ensure safety? Best to body drag out?

Site Culture
Etiquette
Describe appropriate way to use site
Courtesy to other user groups;
Key things to understand about site use.
Why Kite/Sail Here:
Good winds, good place to learn, interesting sites, downwind opportunities, etc.?
Stewardship
Would you like to be an SFBA point of contact for safety information of site?
Additional Information:
Links to more info, webcams, etc.
Site Recommendations
Protect Access
Describe why it’s an important access location (favorable conditions, history of use, no other nearby sites, etc.)
Recommended Improvements:
Install informational safety signage?
Designate formal rigging area?
etc
windsrf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help to have easily accessed listing of existing sites (names/locations only)?

Thanks, David
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
It might help to have easily accessed listing of existing sites (names/locations only)?

Thanks, David

http://sfbaywatertrail.org/boardsailing/
windsrf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide,

The url you provide only lists 6 sites? That is far below the number of SF Bay locations windsurfers/kiters have been using for decades.

How about accessing and integrating the existing iWindsurf Site/Launch Info as part of this process?

Interesting to note that Shimada and Vincent are listed, but not Point Isabel? The PI launch is well into a planned renovation involving over $500K and overseen by the East Bay Regional Park District. Construction tentatively planned to commence this coming Fall.

But perhaps this list of 6 sites is restricted to those already approved by the Bay Trail process?

Not wanting to "reinvent the wheel" on this, so maybe more specifics would be helpful?

Thanks, David
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave ----
http://scc.ca.gov/webmaster/project_sites/watertrail/enhanced-water-trail-plan-final.pdf
GO TO PAGE 65

SFBA would love some volunteers.
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that url works and page 65 lists all the "already denoted" launch sites in Table 8.2. Those launch sites are located on maps in Figures 8.1: a-g.

My sense is that what you are asking is NOT to enter all this data/info for any site listed in Table 8.1, but only those launch spots we are familiar with that are NOT listed in Table 8.2? Thus, I don't need to worry about entering data for the Pt. Isabel launch which is listed as CC19?

Assuming that is the case, the only location that I've already identified as missing from Table 8.2 is at His Lordship's Restaurant in the Berkeley Marina (aka HLS). That launch is quite distinct from A26 (i.e. the Berkeley South Sailing Basin Docks/Mats). I expect there are others, thus your plea.

I'm happy to enter that data for HLS (at least), hopefully early this week.

Thanks, David
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
OK, that url works and page 65 lists all the "already denoted" launch sites in Table 8.2. Those launch sites are located on maps in Figures 8.1: a-g.

My sense is that what you are asking is NOT to enter all this data/info for any site listed in Table 8.1, but only those launch spots we are familiar with that are NOT listed in Table 8.2? Thus, I don't need to worry about entering data for the Pt. Isabel launch which is listed as CC19?

Assuming that is the case, the only location that I've already identified as missing from Table 8.2 is at His Lordship's Restaurant in the Berkeley Marina (aka HLS). That launch is quite distinct from A26 (i.e. the Berkeley South Sailing Basin Docks/Mats). I expect there are others, thus your plea.

I'm happy to enter that data for HLS (at least), hopefully early this week.

Thanks, David

YES, Correct. That is great, thank You
mac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There arer quite a few sites that have been protected. In 2005, Peter Thorner and I worked with BCDC staff and got most of the sites then in use on BCDC's Bay Plan maps. That includes Crissy, TI, Isabel, Berkeley, etc. But there were a few sites that weren't on our radar, like Royce/Radio Beach, Albany Beach a few in Marin County and so forth that either came into use by kiters, or we just didn't know about.

We are still in the process of getting sites recognized in the Water Trail effort. But we have been successful in working with the local kiting community to protect Albany Beach, and I expect we will also preserve access at Royce's Beach without too much drama. But getting a comprehensive list is important, and it is no longer in your interest to keep those secret sites secret. Without some engagement of BCDC, the Water Trail, and SFBA, a development that trashes those sites could slip through.

If you are curious about whether or not your site has already been listed, send me a PM and I'll look it up; the list is pretty long to copy here.
sailtildark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: I filled out a survey for Albany Beach Reply with quote

I filled out a survey for Albany Beach (Racetrack launch). That's half the reason I agree to come down to visit my inlaws! Great launch when its too west for Marina Bay.
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious - do you windsurf there, or kite? I've never found it "too hard" to launch at PI, no matter the wind direction. However, always open to new venues and the launch area there at Racetrack is nice. Sailed into the spot from outside once and had trouble getting back out. Another reason to launch there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: