myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gath Helmets with Visors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Gath Helmets with Visors Reply with quote

Do any of you wear the Gath helmet with visor? If so how do you like it?

I lost another pair of sunglasses in the drink while down at La Ventana. I don't wear my current helmet enough because it doesn't fit well. It is a Protec Ace. Perhaps I can solve two things at once.

lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering whether it'll start fogging after a few waterstarts.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Gath helmets for many years, but they have all been sans the visor element. They are an outstanding product that I highly recommend. Regarding the visor element, I've always shied away from anything in front of my eyes that would collect water spots, and that would include sunglasses too.

Yet, I understand that many folks don't seem to have a problem wearing glasses, especially if they need prescription lenses to see well. Have you tried using Croakies? They fit over the arms of your glasses and fit around your neck, and they can be fitted with a float to prevent sinking. Now, if you're wearing a Gath helmet, with a Croakies attachment on your glasses, they are not going anywhere. Also, wearing the Croakies out and about on land, you can take off the sunglasses while indoors, and they will hang from your neck so you will avoid losing them easily.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Gath Reply with quote

No fogging wear it all the time for sun protection and snow sleet and hail when everyone has to go in cause it ripping your face off in 40 kits squall Exclamation no they work well just be shure to get the right size.i have large in both model with and without visor.the one with visor is smaller fits tighter so if your going to wear a hood buy a size larger be careful rising and lowering visor when coated with sand plastic scratches.overall great light protection.laughed off rig wacks
from big jumps gone bad without helmet would have been knocked out before I hit the water.
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Have you tried using Croakies? They fit over the arms of your glasses and fit around your neck, and they can be fitted with a float to prevent sinking. Now, if you're wearing a Gath helmet, with a Croakies attachment on your glasses, they are not going anywhere. Also, wearing the Croakies out and about on land, you can take off the sunglasses while indoors, and they will hang from your neck so you will avoid losing them easily.

I was wearing a retainer just like the Croakies (That is a name brand is it?) when I lost my glasses. I took a hard catapult that knocked my glasses clean off my head (including my hat with chin clip fastened). I saw the retainer floating near me and when I grabbed it to my surprise my glasses were no longer attached!
mamero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lturkevich wrote:
I'm wondering whether it'll start fogging after a few waterstarts.

I regularly wear sunglasses and never had an issue with fogging.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're already using the best helmet (Protec Ace), maybe you need to get the right size. The other thing you need to do is get some water sports sunglasses. I bought two pair at the kiosk in the local mall for $25; they work great, they float, with a croakie they will NOT come off when wearing my helmet, and if they get busted....who cares, they only cost $12.50.

I think the Gath helmets are....not optimal: they look weird and restrictive.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Gath helmet with the adjustable visor as my "rainy day" helmet. With the visor just at the right level, it keeps the rain out of my eyes quite well (which matters because it usually has to blow 25+ before I sail when there's rain in the forecast). Most days, I wear glasses, but when it's raining heavily, the drops on the glasses really reduce vision, so contacts + Gath helmet are best.
Unfortunately, though, my Gath helmet is a bit uncomfortable at the back of my head. It also does not work with headphones, which I sometimes use when speedsurfing to hear my speed. May just be my head shape, though - there's another windsurfer at my home spot who wears a Gath helmet almost every session.
alap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like a ski boots, you choose not the ones that looks best; but the one that fits the best. Gath was not a great fit for me.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gath does offer two different design concepts when it comes to their helmets. There are the ones that are a one-piece shell that covers the ears (and that includes the visor model depicted in your photo), and then there is the one where the ear covers are an attachable accessary that you can use or not. With the one-piece helmet design, it would be virtually impossible to lose your sunglasses using the Croakies. Of course, the Croakies should be threaded deeply onto the arms of your sunglasses to work effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: