myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FOIL is it still WINDSURFING ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! (Though I have not yet foiled.) In my personal life whatever uses a windsurfing rig (universal joint, mast base, mast, sail & boom) to create sailing (using the wind for propulsion) while a rider independently stands on a board holding a boom as a means to hold and give shape to a sail is a variety of windsurfing. Foiling propelled by a windsurfing rig connected by a universal joint to a board a rider is standing on while holding the boom portion of the rig is by my definition part of windsurfing. Notice my definition doesn't require soft water. My ice & snow & parking lot sailing with windsurfing rigs also qualify under my definition.

(According to my definition I'm in my first month of my 25th year of windsurfing every month in Iowa,289 months in a row that began in March 1994.)
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne wrote:
I think it is windsurfing, what do I know? Looks interesting, and I would like to try it one day.

Hmmm. When using the foil, do or do not. There is no try. Laughing

Coachg
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Darbonne wrote:
I think it is windsurfing, what do I know? Looks interesting, and I would like to try it one day.

Hmmm. When using the foil, do or do not. There is no try. Laughing

Coachg

You right teach.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is still windsurfing, and the high you get from planing on a windsurfing board is the same on the foil.

The advantages include planing in lighter winds with a smaller sail, and being able to ride the smallest of swells with or without wind and have a lot of fun doing so. It is also fun and challenging to master something new, similar to the fun of improving in windsurfing when you first started.

I enjoy getting out there on days to light for windsurfing and cruising at a fairly high speed considering the low wind. So the total time on the water can be increased too which is always nice. It can be a bit easier on the knees vs. banging the chop.

There are disadvantages too. The cost of new equipment, if you have a shallow spot or a spot with weeds it might not be good. It is harder to get in and out of shore break and to beach start. You might not go as fast or as far on the foil on certain days. You have to be careful when water starting or in shore break.

For me the advantages out weigh the disadvantages, so I am 100% hooked on it.

I have always wanted to ride wells for thousands of yards with little or no sail power, and the foil has finally made this happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: