myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
footstraps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: footstraps Reply with quote

I have an Isonic that came with starboard's slim footstraps...they are very light weight....not too much padding.... I haven't used them yet...they are probably comfy (even though lack of padding), and perform well....the problem i see is that inorder to adjust the straps...you need to take off or back off the screws to adjust. Since here in LI, NY , we sail with 6/7mm boots all the way down to 1mm or barefeet. So adjusting the straps is quite common...at least in the spring/fall.
I would like to get some aftermarket straps.... i like the idea of Fanatics...and i think Starboards OEM straps that have the internal numbers for reference. makes it easy to set all the straps the same.

does Dakine or any others have a similar design ? can't seem to find Fanatic or SB straps....unless you buy the board with them... Crying or Very sad
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best discussion i have seen ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtHaJCttOVM
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most sailors who need to change strap size use their hand as the guideline. Balled fist for thicker booties, then barely bent hand for bare feet.
Is there a better strap than the quick adjust Dakine Primo?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Dakine Pro Form for adjustable straps. The adjustment is external.

-Craig

dllee wrote:
Most sailors who need to change strap size use their hand as the guideline. Balled fist for thicker booties, then barely bent hand for bare feet.
Is there a better strap than the quick adjust Dakine Primo?
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have any experience with the DRAKE ULTRALIGHT MK. IV FOOTSTRAPS" ?

I haven't used them yet...but they don't have the standard shape that i am used to, that you see with every/any other strap.. The ways these bend and curve looks odd. Maybe because they are new.... i think i moght have to jam a tennis ball or something in there ....and put something ontop that is heavy to sort of form the shape. the current shape of the straps is more of an upside down "V" shape...vs the "U" shape that you usually see. My big Hobbit feet will be difficult to get in there....i think.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently discussed the exact same issue in regards to a new Starboard Futura which uses those same straps.

Here's the link for your reference.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33035&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80&sid=0b276caac1e3ef29bca49ce7a472a135

I am totally with you on this. I love the idea of these straps. Lightweight etc. However, I REALLY do NOT like the way you have to adjust the size by actually loosening or removing the screws requiring a tool. For someone who regularly changes between 2-6mm booties this is a real annoyance. It also can easy lead to stripped and warn out screw heads and even worse, striped or warn out threads in the board.

With that said. My Futura is new. I have not sailed it yet so for the moment my footstrap concerns are conjecture. I will try the straps (hopefully pretty soon now) and perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I will not need to adjust as frequently as I think. If however I do then other straps may be in my future. I really wish Starboard(Drake) provided a lightweight strap that still provided easy adjustment without a tool!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dakine pro form straps are great. Very easy to adjust
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Dakine pro form straps are great. Very easy to adjust

Why can I NEVER access the Dakine windsurfing products from Canada?! Freaking annoying! I always get redirected to their useless online Canadian Shop which only lists apparel. It does not have any windsurfing product. How do Canadian Dakine customers get ANY details on their windsurfing (or kite) products? Do I really need to talk to a Canadian dealer just to find out or even see a picture of a simple footstrap?!

Dakine REALLY needs to get their head out of their %&#. I understand they want us Canadians to buy through an authorized Canadian dealer but, they can at least give us Canadians the information on their website! Don't block or redirect your US site which is the ONLY site that actually lists your windsurfing product details. Are we back in 1994 here? Not the first time I've had to deal with Dakine's corporate stupidity. O'Neill vs O'Neill Canada is another one that drives me nuts when you are trying to get some basic info. Rant over.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make a phone call directly to DaKine's customer service folks at their manufacturing facility in Hood River, OR. All you really need to do is establish a line for E-Mail contact, and I'm sure they can help you with what you need. Of course, once you want to buy something, you might be obligated to do it through an authorized Canadian retailer.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero,

Try this direct link. Who knows...it may work Smile

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/windsurf/windsurf-accessories/pro-form-footstrap?source=search&utm_source=google_shopping&m=configurable_scp&gclid=CjwKCAjwhcjVBRBHEiwAoDe5x8vxu8IZWbk4rpeZdHXKQyF9045jIbUvXtF5upKSQhFqqL1VU7_4bRoCpQgQAvD_BwE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: