myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the confusing world of GPS tracking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: the confusing world of GPS tracking Reply with quote

For windsurfing it needs to be waterproof. I am tempted to put my android phone in a ziplock bag and then in a dry bag or waterproof phone holder and then either in my wetsuit, PFD or backpack, but my android doesn’t record speed beyond 15 MPH?

Do I need to download an android GPS app to get higher speeds? If so, what is a good one?

2. Do all GPS watches need phones nearby? Do apple watches or fitbits do GPS?

3. At what price point do waterproof watches get GPS without a phone nearby?

4. REI sells sweet looking Suunto GPS watches. The range from $200 - $700 Have no idea why the range or what models do. I don’t want any investment over $250.

Any help explaining to confusion would be great. Looking for inexpensive, waterproof, simple to use interface to track windsurfing and running/walks/workouts. Not interested in official speedsailing.

Thanks.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Garmin Vivoactive HR works pretty well for the price. It has a builtin GPS which does not require an active link to a smartphone. I use it to track my speed while on the water as well as for the GPS which I upload when I get back home.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW-60 is impossible to beat and around $250.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: the confusing world of GPS tracking Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:

Any help explaining to confusion would be great. Looking for inexpensive, waterproof, simple to use interface to track windsurfing and running/walks/workouts. Not interested in official speedsailing.
Thanks.

In case the boardsurfr doesn't weigh in, here's your source for all things GPS:
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/
However, he may try to convert you to speedsailing!

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://boardsurfr.blogspot.ca/2018/03/the-pi-logger.html

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the gw-60 or Garmin download to an imac? Is the interface easy to use?
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
Does the gw-60 or Garmin download to an imac? Is the interface easy to use?

Again, check: [img] http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com[/img]
He has software recommendations there too.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just recording your sessions and to get an idea of your speeds, your Android phone should be fine. Get the Windsport Tracker app, it's free.

The GW-60 is the watch you currently need to get if you'd want to join a team in the GPS Team Challenge. However, unless you want to join a team or really like the idea of spending $250 on a watch, I'd suggest you wait on that. The GW-60 is great when it works, but it can have problems with the bands breaking, and a host of other issues that turn $250 into a brick. Dealing with Locosys on warranty issues is not fun - for example, they blame all broken wrist bands on the user, and won't replace the watches. Repairs on the watch are also not possible; the cost to fix a broken screen is the same as the cost of a new watch.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the Garmin Vivoactive HR.

It is light weight, easy to see even in bright sun with my polarized lenses on, does not require a phone nearby, fairly easy to setup, etc.

I have tracked many sessions on it and exported some to Google Earth to take measurements.

Today I downloaded the surfing app because I am riding a lot of swells on a foil and want to track that similar to surfing, how many waves I caught, the length, speed, etc.

I also like you can fit just one or more things on a single screen. I normally go with 2 so the readout is larger and easier to read. Sometimes the screen swipe does not work if it has too much water on it but pushing the drops off of it seem to get it working again.

The only thing it is missing is a cell phone. Tried the Samsung Frontier S3 which has the phone but the always on option does not work so you end up with a watch that is always off when windsurfing which is not very helpful.

Once Samsung works out that issue I would like to try a watch with a cell phone built in again.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When windsurfing do you use it in biking mode?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: