myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adjustable Outhaul - Single Sided Sailworks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Downhaul line is pretty stiff so it'll be draggy. 3mm spectra would be better.

What do you mean by stiff and draggy?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He means high friction. Maybe not the best choice for AO.

-Craig

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

mamero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
He means high friction. Maybe not the best choice for AO.

-Craig

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

Ah that makes sense. I use Formuline for downhaul which is nice and smooth. That stuff would be good for an Adjustbale Outhaul?
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems in the Kiting world they are replacing the regular Bridal Pulleys with these new sheaveless pulleys; a pulleyless pulley!

This look pretty slick. They are supper small, lightweight, and strong. This would make an excellent substitute for the pulleys that are normally used in adjustable outhauls.

https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=423

If I bought two sheaveless pulleys, two cam buckles, and a good length of Formaline I think it would be easy to make a very smooth unobtrusive Adjustable Out Haul for probably half or 1/3 the price of a premade AO from Chinook or Sailworks.

PS my Chinook booms all have 3 pulleys at the clew so I am set there as well.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
So changing sail sizes on the same boom is a PITA with and adjustable outhaul?

Not a PITA if you have your gear sorted in advance.

With a double sided, traditional adjustable outhaul system, there are cleats with a 2:1 pulley and line (or webbings with cam buckles) attached to each side of the boom. Then there is a separate line that ties to the pulley on the side of the boom, gets threaded through the tail/clew pulleys, and then gets tied to the pulley on the opposite side of the boom. (And in my experience, you need a minimum 6:1 purchase to effectively adjust the outhaul under way.)

When I used AO (for Formula racing) I made a specific line (the one that gets routed through the tail/clew pulleys) for each sail. That line was cut to the correct length needed for that particular sail, was only used with that sail, and always stayed with that sail.

So regardless of what sail was being rigged on a particular boom, the rigging process was always the same, there was never any adjusment needed to the system, and the line lengths were always perfect.

Another item of note. If your sail requires a lot of outhaul tension during the rigging process (for example if your sail rigs by installing the mast, threading the downhaul, installing the boom and outhauling to max, then popping on cams and finally dowhnauling) it will probably be very difficult to rig the AO and pull on the tension needed. Instead, first rig your outhaul using the traditional method using a single line and the cleat on the tail of the boom. After the sail is fully rigged, remove that "temporary" outhaul line and install the AO. This might seem like a lot of work, but the rigging will go much more easily and if your AO lines are pre-set as described above, you'll be looking at maybe one minute extra to rig the AO.

sm
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason those blocks wouldn't work, most of the drag is in the tailpiece. Thinner line really helps.
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single sided AO is easy to set up and once it is set up, one rigs any sail that fits on that particular boom just like you normally would. I use one all of the time for all of my sails, 3.4 to 6.5 meter and find it handy to use and it improves the range of all of my sails.

I also own a two sided Sailworks AO, but for recreational sailing I find it more of a hassle than it is worth, so on my 5.5 and 6.5 Retro's I just use the single sided one and find that sufficient for my needs....I am not racing anyone, but the AO makes it really nice to fine tune the sail in real time...while sailing ....although it takes a bit of practice to adjust it on the fly. It is easy to adjust the outhaul by dropping in the water and adjusting it, or easier yet by going to shore and giving the AO a yank for a tighter sail, or letting a bit of OHaul out for more power. And it just takes a few seconds to do.

KMF
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the sail works AO on my rigs as well, but only one sided.
I use the Chinook Double Sail pulley for the clew.
Set up is just as easy, if not easier than "regular" outhaul set up.
It nice when overpowered to be able to give the AO a yank and tighten up the outhaul. Although I'm a fan of chinook, I definitely prefer the sail works to the Chinook AO system. The big block/cleat on the Chinook gets in the way.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the double-side Sailworks AO that I use for Kona One sailing. For the single-side, just route the long end through the boom pulley, through the clew grommet and directly into the boom end cleat. That's 6:1 and plenty of leverage for most recreational sails and requires no extra steps to rig; just thread the line from the clew pulley, through the grommet and back to the cleat. I use the braided spectra included in the kit. The stuff is very slippery yet very low stretch. It should cleat fine if the cleat's teeth are sharp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: