myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jalama sensor, how soon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gronquist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Jalama sensor, how soon? Reply with quote

This is by far the most important sensor for us in the SB area...impossible to know conditions here without it. It's been down for quite awhile. Can you give us a better idea of when it may be fixed? I'm happy to talk to the store owner if that helps. Thanks
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEO TOO PLEASE! Rolling Eyes
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the most recent report from our west coast repair crew:

3/26/18: Jalama is offline until we can fine tune a wireless solution. This is a very remote location and we have tried a number of different mobile carriers to no avail. We will continue to work on this important sensor location but for the short term this station will remain DOWN.

Apparently, our original wireless provider for the sensor made a change in their cell tower antenna orientation and we can no longer get data out from our sensor. We have been checking out different mobile hardware on site that can work with the various mobile carriers but so far nothing has worked.

The Leo situation is grim. The owner of the property where the sensor is located will no longer let us use that location for our tower. So far no luck in finding another property owner who will host a tower. We are still pursuing options through the military but a sensor tower is not their highest priority so things are happening slowly...

When a sensor goes offline because of our own equipment failing, like the recent Waddell failure, we can usually fly a crew in to fix it pretty fast. But when it is a problem with a property owner or a wireless company the speed of a solution is often completely out of our hands.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of private homes just upwind of Leo Carillo and downwind of county line. Call me or message me your number so we can talk about it

PS, how do the emergency crews and lifeguards at Jalama communicate?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder quite a bit when the "owner" at the Leo Carrillo site is the California State Parks system. Maybe there is a bit of politics going on between the surfers, windsurfers, kiters and the Lifeguards in charge of the area.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MalibulGuru,

We have not had luck getting any of the nearby house owners to host a sensor. Bult sometimes a local person is better at making a pitch to a homeowner.

Check your IM for my phone number and we can talk.

You know how you walk around with your phone when you have a very weak signal until you get a better signal. And how you sometimes have to repeat yourself or recall from a different location. The sensor can't do those things.

Hi swchandler,

Yes, there are politics and these forums are monitored. Please don't stir the pot. We don't want to lose other Southern California sensor locations.

Mike
gronquist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still curious as to why there's a surfcam there, that's fully operational to subscribers of surfline, but there's still no connection to the wind sensor.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gronquist wrote:
Still curious as to why there's a surfcam there, that's fully operational to subscribers of surfline, but there's still no connection to the wind sensor.

thanks, didn't know there was a cam for Jalama. i see a kiter on it right now

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
loopless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gronquist wrote:

It would seem that if surfline can make a real-time HD camera work it should not a bandwidth problem with a wind sensor. Maybe talk to the surfline crew about piggy-backing a sensor on their camera setup.
As a side-note, kind of depressing seeing so many kites out and no windsurfers. The last time I sailed there I was really given a hard time in the lineup by the kiters.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The last time I sailed there I was really given a hard time in the lineup by the kiters."

What does that really mean? Were they controlling the lineup never giving you a chance to snag a set wave, or was it something worse?

No doubt, kiters have far more mobility going in and out thru the lineup, especially at Jalama when the wind is filled in. Yet, I think we all can hope for some balance and sharing in the competition to get the best waves.

Bottomline though, we have to remember when it comes to waves, locals tend to rule in the pecking order, and that's irrespective of the different sports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: