myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NP RS Flight AL Foil Feedback
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U can, but the breeze better be 10+.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Actually, the way the board is setup you basically have to pump from the straps. It also has a completely flat rocker with sharp rails down the length of the board that also help it go early.

Coachg

Coachg, I think pumping in the straps is a huge advantage for early lift off.

I can't lift off until I am either in the straps or at least have my back foot behind the back strap.

However, I can't pump from that position, I am too far back, so I have to pump from a position where I can't lift off and then quickly move into position without losing speed, which is not advantageous in light wind.

The wide boards have very outboard straps which are not easy to get into until you have some speed going, so pumping with both feet in the straps is not possible.

Coachg, I really like your analysis on the width of boards and I agree with you. For freeride foiling, the width is overrated. The racers might need it to maximize their upwind angle, use large sails, and hike out from the board, but for us non-racing foilers a more upright stance is fine.

For me one of the big attractions of foiling is going in lighter wind and using smaller sails. Your Naish board excels at both of those things.

Even when the wind is up I would still like to be on the smallest sail possible, and like you said you are 1 to 1.5 meters smaller than a wide board foiler.

Great insight coachg, thanks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I noted in the video is that fact that you weren't harnessed in. I know in regular windsurfing that you have to be a gorilla of sorts to plane for any time without being in the harness.

There must be a significant change in the balance requirements being up on the foil in lighter winds. Also, the fact that you weren't in the back strap didn't seem to take you off foiling plane. In regular windsurfing, being locked in the back strap really determines your speed and control, and being out of it is a big limitation.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler, I posted a video in another thread, not sure if you mean that one because the video coachg posted he is in the back strap. On the Naish board it seems there is no where else to put your rear foot other than in the strap.

For me I am never in the harness or back strap when going down wind as there is very little wind in the sail, and sometimes none. It is far easier to flag out the sail and control it without using the harness line.

In my case putting my foot in the middle of the board feels much more comfortable for downwind riding. They even make a set of straps for downwind riding in the middle, although I do not use them.

For anyone interested here is a video of my downwind position on the JP 155 board with the Naish Thrust WS foil.

https://youtu.be/Avepz6XlFXc

For upwind riding I do use the back strap and harness line as there is more force in the sail. Still nothing like regular windsurfing, but enough where being in the harness line feels easier.

Keep in mind this style of riding works in high winds too. Even in very high winds there is not much pull in the sail. I actually have to sheet out even more because just the slightest wind in the sail is a lot. I also use a smaller sail.

This is my foiling style on the Naish foil going down wind, others might use a completely different style.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg, I was thinking the one place a wider board, or a board with more volume would be helpful is when attempting an in air jibe.

I know for the experts it is no problem in air jibing a small board but for us wanna be air jibers having a little more real estate under foot is still helpful.
alap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to OP.
I am selling my 73 wide Fanatic Ray, tutle box

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1346013758

it is in Canada, so the price is in canadian $$. yes, you will have to pay shipping. mint condition, 7.8 kg, great free race board
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah maxime
you gotta buy my AHD SL2 132 80 cm wide freerace/slalom board
i am ready to invest in re-enforcing the fin box for same price
however, you have to let borrow the setup a number of times Smile

http://www.windsurfcanada.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=classifieds.view&adid=2553
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at front wing area. That determines early planing potential. Np alu sizing is medium.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: