myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hello all. It's been a while.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
jpeter wrote:
I wouldn't put straps on the big board you have. I have an ahd sealion and it has no straps.

But the Sea Lion is made for carving, which is GREATLY enhanced by moving our feet/weight all over the deck. Getting it way up on one rail -- and especially back on the other rail a couple of seconds later when chasing small swell or big chop -- requires quick footwork. I don't think that board in the picture is designed for that.

To clarify my point some, I wouldn't put footstraps on a Noa's arc kind of board. It's not going to magically turn into something highly enjoyable. Fox's idea of help carrying the board is true.

Getting on to buying something ... Road trip to corpus Christie for the weather and buy something down there.
JP
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful info fellas, thanks for all the input.

Road trip sounds like the way to go.

I kinda know how this meeting is gonna go already about the board. She's not gonna come off the price, not even a little.

Might see if I can get my own truck down to Galveston for work this week and then just leave from there. That would work best.

Yesterday I met some friends on Lake Palourde in MCY and we did kitesurfing, windsurfing, standup jetskiing, and extreme paramotoring. I say extreme b/c my instructor and a friend of his took to the skies on 14 and 16m speed wings with mosters on their backs and flew in 15-18mph winds. But they are very skilled and I stayed safely on the ground, only having 4 solo flights under my belt so far.

But yeah, back to windsurfing, got some good planing and planing jib turns in yesterday. Nailed every deep water start I tried. It's finally all starting to come together.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Mistral Escape seller would become more realistic if she looked at the Facebook page entitled "Hatteras windsurfing gear for sale: $450 is the price just posted today for a Kona One. The board is located in Emerald Isle NC. The link is: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211420670136694&set=pcb.2038133419738138&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Otherwise, watch for used windsurfing gear in any place where you or your friends or relatives travel. If you know a college student who will be coming home to your area soon who could haul a board on their roof or in their parents van watch for used boards where they go to school. Or if you find one in a college town, check the athletic roster for students who are from near enough to your area you could easily meet them when they bring the board home....for a reasonable extra payment from you.
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Here's an update fellas. Went down to Corpus last week and visited worldwinds. Randy hooked me up with a JP 145L board. Managed to ride all day back and forth to the lil sandbar and back in 25-37 mph winds on a 4.7 sail. Got some good speed on a few legs before I'd wipeout but had a blast. Managed to do one tack without falling in and then shut it down for the day. Best day on a windsurfer yet. My arms felt like jello the next day, whole body felt like I'd been in a bar fight. lol. Good times.

The most impressive thing though was the older folks out there visiting from Cali and else where making it look easy. There was a fella that was 78y.o. ripping duck jibs like it was nothing, and another old lady, had to be 65 or so, jumped up on a 90L and took off screaming. I was like there's no fricking way, I gotta watch this.

So thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I now own a good intermediate board. Hope I can make it work here in these Louisiana winds this season.

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: