myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is my board still Watertight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sand it down, epoxy, sand, paint? Should I reinforce with a little glass or carbon as well?

Do I need to actually open it or can I avoid this. It still feels solid. No sponginess. Just a pinhole thing going on where the water slowing comes out as the board gets warm in the sun.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You always have to get to the heart of the cancer and remove it all. Repairs are about getting to the core of the problem.

Nobody wants to reveal the extent of the possible damage, but it must be done. Be aggressive.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two "stress cracks?" in the bottom of my Starboard iSonic, both about 1/4 inch long with water seeping out like yours. No impact damage.

I cut out an area abut 1" round for each crack, through the board to the foam. Then filled with glass, powder filler more glass and epoxy. West Marine stuff. Fixed the problem and that was maybe 3-4 years ago.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two "stress cracks?" in the bottom of my Starboard iSonic, both about 1/4 inch long with water seeping out like yours. No impact damage.

I cut out an area abut 1" round for each crack, through the board to the foam. Then filled with glass, powder filler more glass and epoxy. West Marine stuff. Fixed the problem and that was maybe 3-4 years ago.

Last edited by techno900 on Thu May 24, 2018 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
You always have to get to the heart of the cancer and remove it all. Repairs are about getting to the core of the problem.

Nobody wants to reveal the extent of the possible damage, but it must be done. Be aggressive.

What he says. Any shortcuts will just have the problem return. Eventually, you'll end up doing it right, but your board will soak up more water in the meantime.

When you epoxy a hole like that, you need to glass it, too. Otherwise, the pressure that's pushing the water out now will sooner or later push the epoxy out or up a bit, or make a new pin hole. And if you have to glass anyway, it does not matter if the area is larger, it's takes about the same time.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mis interpreted the photo, I didnt realize it was a water drop.

Fairly obvious that only 2 things are possible.
1. Leak from previous damage , water coming out.
2. Leak from previous damage new source.

Solution is remove damaged inside and fix.

Fix : folllows this recipe , more than 1 way to bake a cake.
Any number of solutions, none quick none easy. None beyond your capability.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mamero

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to source locally what I need.

Starboard says they use Sicomin SR 1280 for the epoxy. Anyone know where I can find this or an equivalent?
http://www.sicomin.com/datasheets/product-pdf1169.pdf

I contacted Fibertek here in Vancouver. The have a clear Epoxy system but it STARTS at $90 bucks and is only available in a litre or more. A bit over kill.

Starboard uses Fine Glass Beads for the anti-skid. No one locally has this . Where can I find it or what can I use instead?

What type of paint is used for modern windsurf boards? I can go to an automotive paint supply where they will mix up color matched aerosols for me. Will this work?

Thanks.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rayplex.ca/westsysstem.html

West System epoxy and other materials. Forget what Starboard uses.

Get a can of Monster Traction , spray.

I would color match paint as near as possible using regular better grade epoxy spray cans , hardware.

Auto will be expensive, may be liquor , not enamel , and probably wont match .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any West Marine stores in Vancouver? They carry West System brand epoxy, hardeners, and fillers. Most common epoxy system is their 105 5 to 1 epoxy and 200 series hardeners. I've been using West System epoxy for years, and it's top quality product.

If West Marine stores don't exist in your neck of the woods, you might try Fiberglass Supply in Burlington, WA. They carry West System and System Three resins. Also, they are a good source fiberglass and carbon cloth, and a myriad of other products like replacement finboxes, footstrap inserts, etc.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/product_catalog.html
mamero

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the direction swchandler and U2U2U2.

Fibertek in Vancouver deals West System but it was one of the expensive options I mentioned. They do not seem to cater to the small hobbyist doing occasional repairs. Some of the Marinas do sell West System so perhaps one of them will have what I need. If not, I may just need to suck it up and buy the expensive stuff. I'm not sure what the shelf life is on epoxy resin and hardener. By the time I buy all the materials it may just be cheaper and easier to have it repaired. Who in the Vancouver area would do board repairs? Roberts? However, if I bought the materials I would at least I would have all I need to do future repairs and touch-ups; assuming they do not expire.

West Marine closed all their Canadian locations which is a bummer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: