myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Powerex vs Fiberspar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty dedicated to Fiberspar masts in the late 90s to mid 2000s, as liked how they performed in my sails. Yet, I ultimately found that my Tidal Wave SDMs were appearing to break too frequently (3 of them), and it wasn't due to wave damage. However about 2004, I found that some of my newer sails won't work at all with my existing Fiberspars, as the masts were clearly too stiff in the bottom section.

But the thing that really got under my skin was Fiberspar's poor customer service. I bought a used Fiberspar RDM extension that was seemingly defective, and I tried E-Mailing them, to include contacting them directly by telephone a number of times, to discuss what the problem was, and they never responded to any of my contacts. Also, I should point out that the theme of my contacts wasn't "I have a defective product that I want replaced". That's a lousy customer service focus, and as a result, I no longer buy their products.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped a powered rdm on a lip/shorebarrel that dumped and broke my ribs too. No mast would have stood up to that barrel.
i spoke to my dealer just tring to get the half, and not looking for a handout as it was inevitable in my mind.
powerex replaced the whole thing no hassle and no questions despite my protests....

higgybaby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS of Powerex 100% RDM's breaking this year and right out of the box. I'd heard manufacturing was recently moved from USA to China?

Still my favorite but would only buy through a familiar shop that you KNOW will honor the warranty without any hassle. Fortunately they seem to break right away so warranty shouldn't be a problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great warranty means squat until you drag your raggedy ass and torn sail ashore, de-rig, drive back home, drive to your dealer, pick up or wait for a replacement, drive back to the beach, and re-rig. Gimme a mast that won't break in the first place. That's a tough challenge in shorebreak, but not unrealistic in a pansy place like the Gorge.

Mike \m/
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hellcat as well which i was using on a fiberspar mast. Jason Voss said that his dynafiber mast would increase the sails performace dramatically and he was nice enough to sell me one of his for $400. If anyone is interested he had quite a few more in his van. I think I got the last one-piece race model but he had a few more two-piece masts that do not sacrifice too much performance. Contact jrvwindsurfing.com for more information.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's called fibersnap for a reason, i had an hpl boom for a very long time and it still hasnt broken. I use a maui sails boom right now and i love it. Go hpl maui sails or streamlined they're all solid.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

higgababy,
the one i snapped WAS the 100% carbon.
it is made different and in china, and i am less confident in it then before....(70%ers)
not sure its manufacturing, or the fact that it is 100% carbon.
do like the reflex to it though
mine would have snapped anyway

higgybaby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast,
I'd say the manufacturing's changed. I've used the same Powerex 100% RDM 430 for the last 4 years (more?) and it's still going strong. I've seen it bend to such extremes that its hard to believe. Although I've broken a few, they seem to hold up the best, historically at least.

A few weeks ago, I was looking to get a new set of sticks and someone warned me about the new Powerex and since then I've seen it with my own eyes. Just last weekend a buddy snapped his in light/moderate conditions... in 3 pieces. Definitely has got me worried.

Not sure what I'm going to go with now but the Powerex seem to rig best in Naish, Gaastra, and Superfreaks.
bobsurfdawg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Powerex mast breakage Reply with quote

Due to a vehicle fire toasting all my masts (and other gear), I ended up with 7 brand new 100% carbon Powerex masts in May/June 2013. As of yesterday, two 490s and one 460 have broken about 12 inches above the ferrule - all three occurred rigged and sitting on the ground with no apparent trauma. Not crashing in waves, getting launched, or banging around on rocks. They are always stored in padded bags sitting in my van, or stored vertically in my barn. Been sailing over 30 years, so yes I am sure they were fully inserted - I double check every time when putting the sail on the mast. I sail small in-land lakes or sound side at Avon, NC. I will never buy Powerex masts again, especially not 100% carbon ones. Since last I checked, they went under, but are trying to recover, but no US distributor yet. Too bad, or I'd be bugging them to no end.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the tme its best to get the same mast and sail brand.
Also from close to the same production year . Or if they have
a recamended list stick with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: