myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner advice on budget windsurfer - 3 options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he buys that junk he will surely quit. Yes "we" all did it but why oh why suggest that somebody suffer the frustration of 35 year old gear. Take a vacation to a windsurfing hub. Get better gear than that given to you. Hit a swap and get stuff for penny's on the $... Take a lesson. Just not that gear.
I was at SPI in April and saw a fanatic Bat in super good shape. 10 bucks or free to a good home. I almost got it just to give it to someone back home. Lots of masts booms and sails for 25 bucks. Bic Techno 152 good shape 50 bucks. On and on... Just sayin
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to question the decidedly negative messages. I think a positive one would be a better tack. While I have question buying ancient gear, some folks just don't have money to be too picky. As long as the gear is serviceable, and it's in reasonably sound condition, it can work to get someone into the sport. We have to remember that even buying the latest gear doesn't mean that a beginner won't find frustration and difficulty learning the sport.

Lastly, when someone is quite clear about not having a lot of money to spend, it's a bit of joke that some folks recommend taking a vacation that will likely cost a few thousand dollars, especially when it includes lessons and equipment rentals. I can't tell you how many folks that I've known that spent a fortune in lessons, and it didn't turn them into windsurfers. You have to really want to windsurf to overcome the trials of learning the sport. Often, it's more about commitment and spending the time, and it's really not about how much money you spend. Believe me, once someone believes in windsurfing and becomes dedicated to the sport, they will eventually open their wallet.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to question the decidedly negative messages. I think a positive one would be a better tack. While I have question buying ancient gear, some folks just don't have money to be too picky. As long as the gear is serviceable, and it's in reasonably sound condition, it can work to get someone into the sport. We have to remember that even buying the latest gear doesn't mean that a beginner won't find frustration and difficulty learning the sport.

Lastly, when someone is quite clear about not having a lot of money to spend, it's a bit of joke that some folks recommend taking a vacation that will likely cost a few thousand dollars, especially when it includes lessons and equipment rentals. I can't tell you how many folks that I've known that spent a fortune in lessons, and it didn't turn them into windsurfers. You have to really want to windsurf to overcome the trials of learning the sport. Often, it's more about commitment and spending the time, and it's really not about how much money you spend. Believe me, once someone believes in windsurfing and becomes dedicated to the sport, they will eventually open their wallet.

+ 1

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have different opinions on this question. I stand by mine. Spending money on 35 year old gear is a waste of his or hers hard earned cash. I'm not being harsh or negative. Its just my answer to a question. None of us have seen this gear so we have no idea what condition its in. That said its most likely junk and not a good investment...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that most us old veterans would probably agree, more than disagree - if we met the "new student" and learned what their situation is... and saw the gear in person... then we'd probably be fairly close, regarding advice.

But just for the sake of discussion... something for newbies to think about, is this -

In my opinion, the age of the gear doesn't "tell the whole story" as to if someone will waste their money or not.
I mean... I've seen plenty of people who wanted to get into windsurfing, and bought some gear off craigslist that is only 15 years old. But it's a complete waste of money, cause it's the wrong size for them, or won't work for what they want, or is broken or missing pieces.
Meanwhile there are times when someone might buy used gear that's 25 years old. And it might not be a waste of money at all. If it will match what they want to do, and is complete, and nothing is broken, and fits them. In THIS case, the older gear is perfect for them. And the newer gear is junk for them.

In my opinion - the conclusion is that it's not how old the gear is... it's how well it's matched to the new sailor and their environment.

dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble and non-qualified advice is as follows:

1) Find a windsurfing mentor. This is actually more important than the gear you buy online. I started with AWFUL gear, in AWFUL learning conditions. But had a windsurfing mentor who taught me and shared the stoke.

2) Do NOT ignore rule #1! Go to forums, look for other windsurfers in your area. Ask them about where they go. This just happened to me and a buddy last weekend, a man approached us wanting to get more into it. Windsurfers are happy and thrilled to bring more into the fold! You'll find friendships that last a lifetime, this sport changes everything...in mostly positive ways Wink

3) We all have our budgets, but don't shoot yourself in the foot, look on Craigslist as well as our forum here. You really should get a board that is in the 150ltr ballpark or more and wide. Again, find folks in your area, they'd be happy to give you guidance. Lots of suitable gear out there for a bargain, keep looking!

DC
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://loz.craigslist.org/spo/d/windsurfer-2-complete/6617454914.html

Another listed on C/L Kansas City

Think about a old windsurfer in comparison to a TV from the 60/70s , not a car.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our Wed night races last evening... we had 5 course races... 8 people racing, all are experienced windsurfers with lots of racing background (no intermediates or novices in the group)... I got 5 first place finishes.

And of course I have brand new gear.

Oh wait... "No I don't. Last night I used a 24 year old board with a 24 year old fin. And I used a 28 year old sail... but at least I used the correct mast. Oh wait... No I didn't. I used a mast that fit... but it's not the right bend curve or stiffness."

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg,

I bet you weren't on a 45lb 10'6" 160 ltr O'Brien Elite though were ya ;*)

and that spar has got to be 15' minimum so definitely a bigger pain
to transport around than the 10'6" board(which will almost fit in a minivan), but
yeh, if you can carry the board on your roof you can probably carry
the mast (just make sure you red flag it). And I did suggest that with
all the parts $75 would be OK to pay for that rig and yeh it's usable to
learn on, if you're tight on cash in a place where there's no gear.
It's still gear hell desperation though. ;*)

-Craig

gregnw44 wrote:
At our Wed night races last evening... we had 5 course races... 8 people racing, all are experienced windsurfers with lots of racing background (no intermediates or novices in the group)... I got 5 first place finishes.

And of course I have brand new gear.

Oh wait... "No I don't. Last night I used a 24 year old board with a 24 year old fin. And I used a 28 year old sail... but at least I used the correct mast. Oh wait... No I didn't. I used a mast that fit... but it's not the right bend curve or stiffness."
natbprice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of some of the stuff I have in Florida. Is it worth anything? The mast and booms probably have some value, right?

Board 1: Mistral (made in Germany) M.I.T. UDS about 11 ft
Board 2: BIC Sport about 9 ft
Board 3: Tiga design by Hughes de Turckhein 68 SLR about 9 ft.
Sail 1: (on bag) Aero Tech 4.5 square meters (from "name plate")
Sail 2: UP Ultra Profile; 5.5 written in on bag with magic marker
Sail 3: Twin RAF Slalom G.S. 6.4 written in magic marker
Mast: Quick Technology Fiber spar made in Finland, 460 cm, 2.1 Kg
Reflex QT Series
Boom 1: Hawian Pro Line
Boom 2: Fanatic Lite
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: