myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to windsurf with baby and non windsurfing wife
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dglynn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: where to windsurf with baby and non windsurfing wife Reply with quote

hi all,
Living in san francisco, I'm looking to find somewhere warm to go for a week in july that would allow me to get some intermediate windsurfing given I will also have a 6 month and non windsurfing wife with me. We are also into hiking and sightseeing which can keep the wife happy when I'm done with the water. any suggestions,?

Maui, maybe? and stay in Paia,
Columbia gorge , Portland, fly up as a 10 hr drive is probably not the best idea babywise
Aruba?..but not cheap to get to?

I can sail in up to 20 knots with 6.0 sail, can use a harness, but can't water start or use straps

thanks
Derek
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessons on Maui. Matt Pritchard

Stay on Stable road or Paia. If she's an expensive wife, Wailea. Likes expensive but on a budget, South Kihei.
dglynn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip,
shes' happy to go mid price point this time around, preferably in a condo so we can cook for ourselves, not completely cheep and cheerful but also definitely not the ritz carlton

trying to b mindful that I can't disappear for 4+ hrs and leave her with the baby, and so trying to maybe get a few hrs surfing then onward for a small hike/farmers market or other sights

tks
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck...
kbarrett

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent a nice RV.fill it with food and drink.
Go to Rio
Lopez would be better but I'm not sure about the water level.
KB
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui probably offers you the most accommodation options and is fairly close since you're on the west coast. Look into Maui Sunset Condo's in S. Kihei. Condos are on beach and you can sail out back. May be booked up already for July. Lots of options for rentals and lessons.

Another option is Bonnaire - same wind and travel expense as Aruba but very shallow bay that's perfect for learning in waterstarts. July/August is at the end of the their tourist season so things aren't very crowded but wind is still in the upper teen + range most days.
windbetty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi derek,

We can help you get waterstarting before your trip!
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/windsurfing/lessons/progression/

Maui would be my pick/rec as well.
Jane
--
Boardsports California
Alameda - San Mateo - SF
Voted "Best of the Bay"
https://boardsportscalifornia.com/
dglynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for thetips guys

what would the differences from staying / boarding in Paia area vs S. Kihei area,
we stayed in Keihei few years ago with no wind all week for anyone and found keihei a bit touristy but i suppose thats to be expected, its hawaii....

Thanks
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying on the northshore is much cooler given the trade winds. Also, why spend your time driving back and forth from the southshore when the best windsurfing is on the northshore.

If you can afford it, I would recommend renting a house on the beach in the Spreckelsville area. There is nothing better than sailing right from your spot. That way you are always close to the family, where you can take breaks and share more quality time with them. If you're more on a budget, homes in the Haiku area would be a great alternate choice.

Now, that's not to say that you shouldn't take the time to participate in some of the tourist action on the southshore. One of my favorites was snorkeling at Honolua Bay. It's arguably the best snorkeling locale on Maui. It's an outstanding experience. On the way back, you can invest some time in Lahaina and have a nice meal at one of the better restaurants.
dglynn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks swchandler,

Given I'm intermediate level, but can't water start, it seems Spreckelville/Paia area would be best, next would be Keihei, where I can also surf or drive to kanaha beach and combine it with a family day out. is that about my best options?

I'm assuming kannapalia, Lahaina or Wailea are trending on the expensive side and also further away from where I can surf?

Just to confirm, for intermediates, Kanaha Beach and then Keihei are the the best options

Thanks
Derek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: