myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's it I looped only backwards! So odd... long story extra short.
On my one and only jump for the day (mostly surf sailing no wind in the waves even on 5.0 and 68kgs) I tried a backloop and landed it!
Absolutely incredible and amazing feeling, I thought I won the world cup
With more wind and strong waves coming, either I'll get hurt or continue to improve finally, FINALLY!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA64cAWfxm4 or click below...

manuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the last couple of days, with a semi-plane out of the straps (light winds) I tried to time
ramps with the throw and this helped me realize a couple of things.

1. Wait until the front arm is extended and driven across/forward before sheeting in
2. Sheet out a touch before step 1.

If the sheeting out action is too light then the front arm might feel too heavy to tilt the sail towards the wind.
It isn't a big deal but that's the difference between a rotation over the mast foot and around the mast foot.

These are my attempts from September where I almost had it at the time, trying to waterstart out of a few attempts.
My best one wasn't filmed where I waterstarted away out of the straps immediately after landing.

https://youtu.be/RSrjsspAGDg or click below...

I'm not sure what happened since then. I had a break in October, a couple of lame attempts in November.
We had hardcore conditions with either crazy winds, big swell or light winds.
But even during light days, I just haven't been comfortable. Is my body trying to tell me I'm not ready?

Anyway, a long long quest for me, the greater the reward, maybe Very Happy ?

manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With more comfortable winds and waterstate, I seem to be back at it Very Happy !

Here is what I'm aiming for...

And this is what happened in 11-19 knots, my body is a bit more ahead of the board than in the past.
Now it seems that my sail should be way more forward with my camera pointing down at the water.

This is an earlier example where I tuck the board under nicely but my body isn't sent forward and ahead of the board.

I'm planning on concentrating on sending the sail forward and twisting my hips to the back and possibly delaying the sheeting in action so I can focus on following my front arm rather than pulling in with the back one.
Does that seem like a good plan?

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big day yesterday !!! WIth near perfect conditions condices parfaites maybe a touch too choppy, but we won't complain, I think I was able to get about 15 attempts. I got back to my level of last september but I'm feeling much better about it!!! I felt like I shouldn't jump! It kills the rotation, instead, I simply push hard on the back foot, heading downwind and leaning forward with an opened sail. The opened sail lets the board loose, if not it sends the board back down which we want only after we throw our body forward. This part for me was very difficult to execute.

So, no bails, all attempts rotated, no board damage, no stuck front foot. I don't have anymore fear to set them up, except when going fast or over a larger wave at least for me. I find that the nose of the board touching the water no longer hinder the rotation since I'm already on the other side despite being very low.

Below my 2 best tries for the day... frankly, I almost cried, I was so happy because I felt like I am there. If it weren't for the fatigue and the lack of commitment near the end, I would have waterstarted out of one of those. Tomorrow, maybe?!?!?!!!!!! WOWOWOWOOWW Best day of my life Very Happy

Sorry for the chopped off head, too many attempts, popped the cam off... Very Happy !

manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. This is achievable as a first stage (kind of Very Happy !)

2. Ideally, what I would like to do, is that you Kevin?

3. Quite flat water spin loop, very well executed, amazing pop and sail control.

philodog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, look at your front arm in every picture. It's bent as hell. Reach back farther with your back hand, push the rig forward so your front arm is straight after you jump, then sheet in. That's it. You're gonna kick yourself when you realize how simple it is. Just like I am going to kick myself for how easy a backloop is when I finally sail away from one after 8 years of trying! Loved your stoke on your backloop video.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I straighten it at the pop but hold it back thereafter as I hang on.
I found some attempts where I keep it straight (rare) but generally I lean too far back at the pop and the sail depowers too much.

Like you say, I do hope that once I get it then I don't need to "fear" going for it because 1000 attempts into uncertainty is a long journey Very Happy !

kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, going to go outside of convention here with this tip seeing as how you've made a boatload of attempts with the current technique.

When you pop, instead of looking back over your shoulder, instead lock your eyes on your front hand as you extend your front arm and sheet in with your back hand.

This tip actually helped me to learn to loop in Gorge conditions (off a ramp, cross wind) and was volunteered by none other than Josh Stone, one of the best loopers ever.

I had already learned the downwind spin loop off the back of a bump, but I was totally lost when I one to the Gorge... getting smeared and likely pulling in w/ my front hand like you're doing.

Downwind loops are more forgiving of bad technique... cross wind loops require you to be more precise.

An unconventional tip, but it helped me get over the hump.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, is that you in the vid #2?

I believe the tip is aimed to get the sail even more across the board?
It's funny that it's often said to look back, however, like explained in the TWS video, if one sheets in early before releasing the mast foot pressure, the board sticks to the water and we go over unless going off of a nice side wave I guess...

I feel like I first need to drive the sail forward, across and up, then sheet in as I lean forward as the board takes off, then I can rotate my body towards the rear.

One of my challenges when I get close is that it seems that my board catches too much so today I focused on leaning the sail more towards the wind and the board more downwind but this move is really difficult to time correctly when trying off disorganized chop. A really good exercice though. I'm hoping we get some friendlier waves to help and get more productive attempts.

philodog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Kevin's tip, in addition to sheeting in with the back hand think of sheeting up.Pulling up with your back hand in addition to pulling in. Up with the back hand, down and forward with the front hand helps the rotation. Pulling up with the back hand has helped me with many moves besides looping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 19 of 25

Jump to: