myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
why so many sails for windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: why so many sails for windsurfing Reply with quote

I originally came from a boat sailing background where you just have 1 sail size in ALL conditions.
May sound like a stupid question but why can't this be done in windsurfing with the technology nowadays?
I presume it's something to do with the fact that for balance you can't sheet out as far as you could with a boat sail on the mainsheet and to get planning on a board you need a certain angle of mast and sail?
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are talking about sailboats I have to guess you are talking about dinghy's? Large sailboats can reef their sails effectively changing the sail size.

If you are talking about dinghy's then they may have one sail for ALL conditions but the actual usable range of the dinghy for the vast majority of the people who sail them is very limited. There are many lakes that will close to small sailboats if the wind gets too strong. Conversely, a windsurfer can go out in much greater wind then is safe for a dinghy.

If you get a Kona with one sail you would have a greater range than any dinghy so having multiple sails is actually a choice. Generally we choose sail sizes to optimize the fun. You can do more things with a smaller board & sail in strong winds which is why we choose to have multiple sails & boards to match.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controlling a large sail on a heavy boat with ropes and pulleys traveling at 10 knots requires no balance from the operator. Windsurfers must contend with all of this and more in order to control their craft. Size and weight of the operator, board size, water conditions, current and gust and lulls. This is mostly done at a high speed with a just a bit of balance and foot pressure. Get all this correct and its an amazing thing we do. Modern windsurf sails have a large adjustable range range. I now carry 4 sails to cover every where I go. Mostly just 2 boards. Back in the day ( I started in 1982) I carried 8. It seemed that just a slight change in the wind condition required a sail change. Now its a bit of tuning and your good to go..
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your standards are low, you drink only Miller Light. Only.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raceboard-one sail 0-30mph. But few choose that route for a reason.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a sail boat the mast is held up by stays (cables or ropes that go from the top of the mast, to the sides of the boat).
In windsurfing, your body is the only mast stay, which has serious limitations that can be overcome only by different sail sizes.
That's the simplest explanation that I can come up with.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 90's, somebody was manufacturing a sail where you could zipper on and off panels at the foot of the sail. I can't for the life of me remember the brand. I guess the idea never took off.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta, but their designs were about 2 years behind NP's.
The inside panels always wore out around the same time as one normal sail. The outer sail was useless by itself.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Back in the 90's, somebody was manufacturing a sail where you could zipper on and off panels at the foot of the sail. I can't for the life of me remember the brand. I guess the idea never took off.

I had one of these, mine was called Multi-Sail. It was a monofilm 4.4-5.0 and worked just great for a recreational windsurfer who rarely used either size except when on holiday in the Gorge. As mentioned above Delta did it for a few more years. I'd still consider these sails if they were an option. Yeah their aspect ration would vary as result, but it was awesome not having to fully re-rig and the sail felt just fine on the water in either configuration.

Can you imagine if manufacturer's only sold a single three-sized sail instead of peddling quivers?
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - gotta do it Embarassed

just get an "mw sail"

(with an frpgear foil)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: