myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Longboard question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're really missing half the fun leaving the CB out and track in one spot. Until it's planing conditions the board will always be faster CB down and actively adjusting the mast track for optimum board trim is where the speed comes from.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"for me it is all about TOW and FUN and i forget about the technicalities
like foot straps, etc ..."

joethewindsufa, sounds to me like you are trying to rationalize away the importance of footstrap use. It's far more than just a trivial technicality. Footstrap use is arguably the most important factor in achieving optimum planing performance, and it would be a notable mistake to think otherwise.

You need to push your envelope, overcome your fears, and open the door to whole different level of performance. I implore you to make it happen this season!
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe, I think swchandler is on to something. I feel like I am at your skill level and I too like sailing longboards in sub-planing conditions. However, I am still making progress (albeit slowly) towards planning in the straps on my Kona One. Looking at your vids it looks like you are almost there. A few things have helped me progress. Sailing with others in high wind 20 kts +, learning how to handle a powered up sail, and body position. The speed rush is tremendous and I always feel like I am about to lose control when I am planing. This time of year where I live conditions dictate that longboards are the way to go. I am always checking the forecast for those windy days so I can work on planing and advance my skills. Go for it.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the wisdom of sailing longboards with CB in and adjusting the track for trim. You are indeed missing out on a big part of the fun you already have the equipment for. I have two course boards, including a MEQ2 like yours. Big rush to get that CB down, mast forward, and drive upwind with a powerful sail! And btw, the rear upwind strap would be a nice first strap to start using. (Set loose) Very safe, easy to come out of, and very helpful during the upwinders. Your front foot can just ride the rail.
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can manage the $$$ I say go for it. That board is one of my favorites. Would be interested to read a review on it.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to blog post from a down under sailors first impressions on an Exocet RSD2. http://lagod.id.au/blog/?p=230 Be sure to read to the bottom of the comments when he is asked how an RSD2 compares with an Exocet 380. Joe, I think an RSD2 is more oriented toward D2 than you were hoping.

Also Joe, I'd like to make a friendly quibble regarding your ME2. Are you saying it is an Equipe of the 2nd design but not an Equipe II which was actually, as I recall the third design? I believe the first Mistral Equipe boards had indentations a few inches from the stern. Another design without the indentations came about around 1990 or 1991. I would call that the 2nd design but that design was not describe by Mistral as an Equipe II. The Mistral Equipe II came out in the last half of the 90's (I think) with a somewhat wider tail (which I think was also somewhat thicker). If your Equipe doesn't have the indentations in the tail it is not the first Equipe design, but judging from the graphics on the board in your video it is from the early 90s.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Mistral in my video was probably my MEQ1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPP5pa4TAc

ironically after just my last outing I was considering putting back the dagger in the MEQ2
and also adjusting the track for upwind ...
have done so in the past, was just getting lazy and enjoying the rides

on occasion i do use the side straps on my MEQ2

i do stomp on the footstraps and wish for steadier winds - especially short boards
too often we have the up n down winds
i like the idea of going for the straps on my Shark 145 with a 7 meter sail in about 20 knots wind
Jeff says the SLW is a good way to start footstraps too

believe Michael on the RSD2 post comments is the fellow in Toronto selling the RSD2
http://lagod.id.au/blog/?p=230

thanks for all the comments

addendum: adding here in order to not push the post to the top again ...
here is a MEQ2 with a SW Retro 10 meter sail in 15 knots (no dagger and mast all the way back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tb7Zl10f3A

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
systemslib

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey joe

Keep the me2 and see if you can sail it in 15-25 knot winds as I find the longboards in such conditions are quite fast and still manageable depending on skill and weight. I am 6ft/190lbs and used an ultra cat 210l the past 2 years as my only board. But at my size it was a bit too small and due to narrow design required endless balancing. Mostly sailed dagger free but for rail riding the dagger is a must of course.

Anyway I have been looking for a modern longboard, the kona 1 interested me but ultimately ended up with a used phantom 380 for a decent price. It is amazing how much more stable the 300 liters is for bigger persons and while the fuc was a bit faster over 20 knots, it also could become a handful as chop and swell built. The phantom has been a very fun board and have sailed up to about 25knots and still feels in control but starts to push the limits. Getting in the straps on it is easier than the fuc and I tend to ride it mostly with a front foot in one of the railing straps and rear either out or if it really starts to blow then use the rear strap. Like you I sail 90% of the time dagger free in winds or 15+. However it will not sail as fast as intended without the dagger and of course will not rail without it either. I keep the mast near the rear in all conditions.

Really for New England I find this board to be the best but believe a blast 130/145 could also work as well as similar gecko. However for me getting in/out of landings or wind shadows or having wind totally die, the longboard is the best and sail approx 3 times a week on it so tow cannot be beat. It did take me over a year of steady looking to find the phantom and had to pay more than wanted but no regrets and a great board.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RSD2 if for seasoned/expert long board racers. If that's not you, you will hate it.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
SNIP
Also Joe, I'd like to make a friendly quibble regarding your ME2. Are you saying it is an Equipe of the 2nd design but not an Equipe II which was actually, as I recall the third design? I believe the first Mistral Equipe boards had indentations a few inches from the stern. Another design without the indentations came about around 1990 or 1991. I would call that the 2nd design but that design was not describe by Mistral as an Equipe II. The Mistral Equipe II came out in the last half of the 90's (I think) with a somewhat wider tail (which I think was also somewhat thicker). If your Equipe doesn't have the indentations in the tail it is not the first Equipe design, but judging from the graphics on the board in your video it is from the early 90s.

The board is a generation 2 Equipe. The first Equipe was a lower volume race board one or two iterations from the latter Pan Am boards. The first Equipe had a winger pin tail and only a Euro-box. It also is revealed by looking at the mast track pedal. Red and round for the first gen Equipe, black and rectangular for the Gen 2. For reference, the Gen 2 Equipe is the exact same shape as the IMCO.

The Gen 2 Equipe in XR build is one of the greatest race boards of all time. Mine weighed 22 lbs. and sported a choice of two centerboards, one "standard" size and the better one a light wind size that stood proud of the deck. Each were carbon. The fin box was a Power Box. This board is fast downwind though doesn't head as deep when compared to the modern longboards designed 25 years later. It sails easily into the upper 20 knot range, regardless of chop. It does not stuff the nose downwind and can be railed and driven hard upwind, going just as high and fast as many of the new boards when the wind is up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: