myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling lead hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Foiling lead hand Reply with quote

Still sooo much arm and hand work to deal with the twichys. Do people sail front hand palm up or down?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to change it depending on point of sail and fatigue. I keep moving my lines forward and that's reduced effort a lot.
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line position and length, so many variables. That all gets determined by mast foot placement and boom height. The Sailworks Flyers are great sails, but they don't make anything less than a 4.5. So, 3.7, 3.2 floppy old Northwaves which sail totally strange. You go to pop the cambers and they aren't there. Wondering if a front foot strap would help getting more body weight on the boom, but if your foot is locked in how do you surf swells?

Rambling. Wish there was more info out there.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are breaking new ground.

What board are you on without straps? Using any power down the swells or just back upwind?
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

145 Slingshot Dailer. Up wind powered performance is pretty good. Wish it was a little better. Definitely a function of which foil. Swell riding, sometimes unhooked when powered up using very little sail.
Slingshot Foil Academy has pros and cons for straps and strapless riding. Every video I watch they use straps, but no videos of swell foiling.
brand_adam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
Line position and length, so many variables. That all gets determined by mast foot placement and boom height. The Sailworks Flyers are great sails, but they don't make anything less than a 4.5. So, 3.7, 3.2 floppy old Northwaves which sail totally strange. You go to pop the cambers and they aren't there. Wondering if a front foot strap would help getting more body weight on the boom, but if your foot is locked in how do you surf swells?

Rambling. Wish there was more info out there.

So you are windfoiling completely strapless in the Gorge? Interesting, I'm a front strap guy, largely because I'm new to this and don't have a foil-specific board. I certainly don't miss the rear straps at all though. I was lit the other day and glad the front strap was there just to push the top of my front foot against it to keep my windward rail down. That said, when normally powered I don't think I'd miss it that much. I've found the foiling forum on seabreeze the Australian site seems to be the most active english language windfoiling forum out there, but even it is a bit slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: