myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Feedback: wind quality at Wall & Roos Sunday and Monday Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Please post or mail (mike@iwindsurf.com) comments about the wind quality at the Wall or Roosevelt for yesterday July 2 and Sunday July 1. ie. was the wind steady or bob and blast and was it evenly spread across the river.

I am still working on a way of forecasting when The Wall and/or Roos will have epic winds and swell vs. days when most of the winds is up and down and focused mostly on one side of the river. Clearly more WNW/NW flow vs. more WSW flow is a critical variable. But often the walls of the Gorge turn even NW wind more W to WSW at the sensor location.

This past blog and the image below show what I am working on:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-the-wall-wind-direction-and-2-venturis/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

TheWallGlassy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.52 KB
 Viewed:  17955 Time(s)

TheWallGlassy.jpg

AlexM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see others' responses, but I would say that yesterday July 2 was at least very, very good, if not epic, at Rufus. Yes, it was gusty, but not abnormally so, and the wind was fairly well filled in across the river. The tendency was for the strongest wind to be more toward the Washington side, and the shorelines on both sides tended to be a bit lighter than in the middle of the river. Those last observations are typical for Rufus, in my experience.

The swell was glorious - not especially big in terms of vertical drop (as it probably was downriver at the Wall), but characterized by pillowy smooth patches that extended much of the way across the river.
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

A number of sailors have found that on days when the Wall is bad, like you see in the photo, Rufus is much better.

However a lot of people prefer to launch at The Wall so I am trying to find ways to forecast in advance when the Wall will be great or poor.

Mike

Last edited by windfind on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
windsurf64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Feedback: wind quality at Wall & Roos Sunday and Monday Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

Please post or mail (mike@iwindsurf.com) comments about the wind quality at the Wall or Roosevelt for yesterday July 2 and Sunday July 1. ie. was the wind steady or bob and blast and was it evenly spread across the river.

I am still working on a way of forecasting when The Wall and/or Roos will have epic winds and swell vs. days when most of the winds is up and down and focused mostly on one side of the river. Clearly more WNW/NW flow vs. more WSW flow is a critical variable. But often the walls of the Gorge turn even NW wind more W to WSW at the sensor location.

This past blog and the image below show what I am working on:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-the-wall-wind-direction-and-2-venturis/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
philodog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the boat ramp from 10-2 yesterday and thought the wind quality was very good. A few lulls but overall very steady. Mellow 3.7 then building to raging 3.3 . I gave it a 9/10.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was also at the ramp. IIRC we were done by 2:30 both days. Sunday seemed gustier than Mon. Yesterday was the best day I've had in years but I haven't sailed there in a long time.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus was outstanding on Sunday from 12-230 when I was there. The continual challenge with the Wall seems to be two-fold: 1) mid/high 20s average on the meter often means nothing for sailable conditions - It may be a crappy 4.7 with almost no swell on a big board, and 2) direction for the Wall seems crucial - most of the people who know the Wall feel it is only good for a 10-15 degree range of the wind direction clock somewhere is the WSW range.
Rufus just seems a lot less direction-dependent. Some directions are better than others, but in general, it is much easier to have a good or excellent day at Rufus through a much larger range on the wind dial from NW < > SW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: