myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Foiling Reply with quote

I have the Sling Shot wing and the 130 Dialer. First day out it got to windy after 45 min. on a 5.2. So I grabbed my 96 board and windsurfed the rest of the day. I was able to get going pretty easy and found it simple to fly and touch down with out a crash at all on the 24" mast. The front of that board saved me from going over. Today I got to the lake early and foiled on a 5.2 in 10ish mph winds with a few gusts to 15. I had several long reaches on the foil
and again no major crashes. I'm 68 years old so I'm trying to be smart about this new sport.. Right now I can't get near the straps. I am using the harness.
My front foot is in front of the foot straps and toward the windward rail but not that much. I have my back foot in front of the back strap but more toward the lee ward rail so I can turn down wind to control the board from heading up wind when I get on the foil. I feel if i go fro the front strap the board will over foil and head up wind. Also going for the rear one is going to give me to much lift from the foil. I have everything set forward on the board and the front wing back. Any help would be welcome. Again today it got to windy for my skill level so windsurfing was the call. Heading in it was easy to stay down and windsurf it back down wind to the lunch
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a pic of your board, showing foot straps and position of deck plate etc.

If you have too much lift, then you’re windsurfing it (got to break that habit) You only lean back to engage the foil, then your weight shifts forward onto front leg and foot. it takes time to learn subtle pressure differences. Foil up a little and touch down. Then practice skipping the board up then down, nice and smooth.

Time and muscle memory! No need to hook into lines when learning, instead use rig pressure, sheet out if rounding upwind.

Biggest issue I see is Windsurfer’s being too aggressive and they end up launching it straight up, then down like a dolphin. Just sail the foil like a regular fin and get comfortable with subtle pressure differences.

wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Social security age foiling Reply with quote

I,m 63 years old being smart like you been foiling a year now with Horue gear and naish hover with go foil.biggest thing for me was getting in the front strap in the inboard most position don,t worry about getting in the back straps it will come.but getting in the front wil getting foil up quicker and give you more control.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Its fun and a challenge. I was foiling on a 5.2 when the other guys were watching and waiting to go out on 6.5 and 7.0 sails
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get in the front strap, don't worry about the back, in fact, you should probably just remove the back strap for now. It's a great feeling having fun out there while others are waiting for the wind to pick up (now we know what kiting is like Wink

Picture you're flying a plane on take off, try and make a smooth ascent applying gentle back foot pressure then shift your weight forward gently after take off.

I'm still new to this but am really loving it. The H2 is a great wing, I just got the H4 and now am buying their Infinity 84 (the BIG wing) as I'm over 200lbs for SUP and really light days.

Have fun!!!

DC
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very curious as to how that giant wing performs as a windfoil. If it actually lowers the minimum wind speed much or if you can simply rig smaller.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac, I'll give you a full report after I get it. Had a great session today in what would have been a schlog fest. The H2 was a lot of fun. I'll let you know about the Infinity 84 when it gets in.

Keep in mind, I'm over 200lbs so a lot relates to weight.

DC
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 205# and have the H2, so it'll be good data for me.

Debating the 76 vs 84 if there is a significant difference to the H2 in light wind.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET THE 84!!! It rocks!!!!! Lift AND control, doesn't ovrerfoil and doesn't spin out like the H2. AWSOME!!!!!!

DC
tm00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: foiling Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Thanks guys. Its fun and a challenge. I was foiling on a 5.2 when the other guys were watching and waiting to go out on 6.5 and 7.0 sails

Not sure if it is my board (old freeride 71cm) or the gusty conditions but I can not seem to fly without using similiar size sail that I would use for windsurfing.

Have pumped a smaller size to get lift off but can not keep it in the air.

(I am at the start of the foiling learning curve)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: