myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot customer support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The H11 definitely has a lower stall speed than the H2, and it should get up and flying at a slightly lower speed. You need to get to about 10mph to lift off. So really any gust or sail pumping that will allow you to hit the 10mph threshold will get you up and flying, especially with some foil pumping at the same time.

When pumping the sail I like to pull down on the back hand at the end of the pump to get some pressure into the foil.

For Jibing I think it is easiest to come into a real long mellow carve and flip the sail super early. Then keep you feet in the footstraps until you are comfortably sailing and trimmed in the new direction (switch stance) before making the foot switch. It is usually the foot switch and spending too much time on the tail of the board that causes people to over foil. It still happens to me all the time if my footwork is not clean, or I hiccup and get caught on the tail for too long.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any top speed comparisons between the H11 and H2?
Also am I reading it right that the new fast wing (time code 68?) has more wing area than the H2?
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyatt, on this jibing "super early" sail flip thing. In foil academy Tony reaches his back hand around the mast grabs the boom and reefs the sail around. Feels awkward. How else would you get the sail to go though? Trying to keep the H2 from over foiling in the jibe.
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyatt, on this jibing "super early" sail flip thing. In foil academy Tony reaches his back hand around the mast grabs the boom and reefs the sail around. Feels awkward. How else would you get the sail to go though? Trying to keep the H2 from over foiling in the jibe.
gorgekite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northwaves seem to work well I use them in 3.7 4.2 4.7

I am finding I like foiling with the small sails better. I think they effect the foil less due to lighter weight. just started to get my sail flip yesterday you really need to concentrate on the masts forward and back angle to control foil height Tracy
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy, what year are your Northwaves? I think the older ones are more tunable for foiling. My Washington side jibe is getting to be mostly in the air, but on the Oregon side I’ve got to set the thing down. Thanks Slingshot for the big nose on the 145 Dialer.
mprussak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyatt - thanks for taking our questions here.

Here is mine. I have the H2 wing now, bought it a year ago as the windsurf Hover Glide package. I am still learning to do things with it - have the flight quite steady (when the wind is not too strong and/or too gusty) and beginning to try jibes. I am using it with a Falcon 125L slalom board and sails ranging from 8.6 North race sail down to 4.7 wave sail. It works well for me in >12-13 mph of wind, but I can't quite get liftoff below that level. I am sure skill has a lot to do with it, maybe I can improve that over time. But I want to be able to fly in lighter winds, so my question is what should I get if I were inclined to spend the money?

Specifically, if I were to replace just the front wing, what should I get?

And if I wanted to splurge on carbon, which parts/package should I get? Carrying the aluminum kit is not something I enjoy (though I am getting better at it). If I got the carbon set, would it make sense for me to keep the H2 wing for slightly higher winds? Or faster speeds? Or any reason at all?

If you think that getting a foil specific board would make a big difference in takeoffs (vs. my Falcom slalom board), let me know, too. I understand that splashdowns are friendlier on foil specific boards, but at the moment I am OK with splashdowns on my slalom board. And I guess that while flying it makes little difference?
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there mprussak

Yeah you would get earlier liftoff if you had the Infinity 76 wing. Its my favorite and it still goes pretty fast...like 23kts. I start to lift off when I hit about 9mph of board speed. So you will still need to do some pumping if you want to get it going in less than 12mph of wind. I find that giving a hard pull down on the back hand at the end of my sail pump combined with pumping the wing with the back foot helps me get up and going.

If you are not worried about having a top end speed the Infinity 84cm wing is super efficient. The thing wants to foil before you have enough forward momentum to sustain it...which is pretty weird. You actually have to try to get it not to lift off until you get enough forward board speed. But it tops out at about 20mph. Super easy to jibe though as the stall speed is REALLY low.

Carrying the kit is pretty clumsy even with the Carbon. I still end up holding the foot strap and fuse and dragging the mast tip most of the time. Having the longer mast is a real nice advantage. Also the stiffness of all the connections is a plus...and you can jump it without worrying about bending anything.

The GW 683 wing is pretty fast and efficient. Not as efficient as the Infinity 76 or 84, but a heck of a lot faster. I would go GW101 with the 683 wing if you wanted to go the carbon route. At the moment the Hoverglide wings won't attach to the Carbon Ghost Whisperer, but there is a new fuselage coming out soon that will allow the Hoverglide wings to work on the Carbon GW setup.

For getting goin its all about getting to that liftoff speed. The Wizard 150 is bigger and wider than your Fanatic slalom board, so it might get you up a little bit faster, but not a ton.

Hope that helps
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here goes all the wing Specs for you guys.

2019_HOVERGLIDE_WINGS_OUTLINE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  490.72 KB
 Viewed:  27235 Time(s)

2019_HOVERGLIDE_WINGS_OUTLINE.jpg

grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one of those is the Fwind1 wing? And for comparison what kind of lift off and max speed do you get with the Fwind1?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: