myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HR Sail Park Exclusive Use Parking for Boat Event Concern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy an annual pass, what does your contract say? Unless it specifies that there will be days or weeks that it is invalid, I'm guessing that "booking" the park and excluding everyone else is not only aggravating but unenforceable. If so, it's the same unenforceable bluster to which many people kowtow unnecessarily. Just putting up some sign, being told to stay out, or even posting it on a website does not cancel a contract or circumvent a law. If I wanted to park or sail there ... especially if it was that or not sail that day ... I'd be looking into the legality of the closure. I've encountered and defeated something like a dozen baseless exclusions in many decades and locales, all without any fuss, bother, or consequences beyond my calling the law (the Corps, in that case) one time just to stifle the threats. No official or landowner has ever objected when I simply went about my business and rigged up my dirt bike, snowmobile, or windsurfer and did my thing.

As long as there wasn't a sammich involved. Very Happy

The title of Glen Taylor's complete guide to the sport of windsurfing starts with "Wherever there's water and wind". It doesn't add anything about begging for permission first and accepting "No" from the first passerby we ask.

A gaggle of us were riding our dirt bikes when another guy on a dirt bike flashed his driver's license at us and ordered us to leave the premises immediately. The "premises" were tens of square miles of open desert on the flood plain of the Great Salt Lake. His "badge" was one of those little paper gold stars your preschool kids get for doing their homework. He quickly STFU and vanished when one of us flashed his REAL State Police badge.

I'm not suggesting violating any laws, or even being obnoxious. I AM suggesting finding out the enforceability of this breach of your annual pass contract for now, choosing how to use your findings, and taking the problem to the city for long term clarification and solutions.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waterlou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That said, moving forward I think we all benefit from more recreationalists wanting access to The Columbia: Windsurfers/Kiters/Sup/Canoe /Fishermen etc...

Eric/Holly - I couldn't agee less. How are we benefiting? No parking? Can't get into restaurants for dinner after work? Pay to play? Housing prices? Reservations to hike Dog Mountain?

For years I've been telling everyone I could to stop announcing to the world what a great place this is (was). I would see articles in the NY Times about "secret" hiking spots which are now overrun by people who have come from other places. It started about the year 2000, when at least once a month there was an article about Portland/Oregon in the Sunday Times. The world read about Portland, the gorge, the coast, all about how great and uncrowded it was, with emphasis on the livability. I moaned and groaned every time. I never applaud the articles I've seen in places like Outside Magazine about how Hood River is the top place to live, yet I see my friends posting these things on Facebook as if they want everyone to come and join in. I lived in the area when one could go to Oneida gorge and not see another person, or maybe on a busy day there would be 10. We could race our sports cars on the old highway and not have to worry about running into a line of 40' motor homes taking up the whole road, or people simply standing in the road near a waterfall...
I was a member of The Chamber of Commerce in another little city in Oregon for a while, and each month we would gather for lunch and talks of how to bring more people and businesses to our little city. Each month I would take my turn to get up and try to inform them of how we had all moved to that little city to get away from places like they were trying to turn it into. It worked! They totally screwed the place up and now it's just another Beaverton/LA.

So how do we benefit again?
ldhr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Waterlou - sounds like you'd be a lot happier in Mosier.

There are 52 weeks in a year.
8 of those weeks the waterfront is crowded....maybe a few more weekends are crowded for special events like Harvestfest and Beerfest.
The rest of the time we get to enjoy all the amenities made possible by the tourists..... without the crowds.

I think it's a fair tradeoff..... as long as the west side expansion doesn't get approved.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourist dollars help HR thrive and I am totally supportive of that. If I love HR, and I do, it’s likely others will as well. You can’t lock the door behind you. Never works. Moreover, for most of the year the Waterfront is mostly empty. We are really talking about 6 weeks of heavy use. It’s not as if every person who visits is going to move to HR. The kite schools, windsurfing schools, kayak and sup rentals, e-bike rentals, bike shops etc have a pretty short season to make their nut. Visited the waterfront mid November?

What we can do is cooperate and control events at the waterfront to allow access for all. The folks that rented the waterfront park did just that—rented it for 8 days. Because there were no provisions in place for parking, windsurfers were locked out. I can’t blame the boat folks for that. When you rent a facility for a party, or what have you, does it cross your mind to ask, “Gee, will my renting this facility inconvenience some others?” No, of course not. You simply rent a space if you are allowed to do so.

I hope the boating event returns. I am confident that if enough of us express our concerns directly to the Port, that next year’s contract may stipulate access provisions for windsurfers, and beach goers alike.

I’m just not into, “ keep everyone else out.” Even if I was, good luck.

Email the Port
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: expanding water use association membership Reply with quote

Most are probably not aware there is an underground (?) push from some people with clout to combine the CGWA/CGKA to include all water users including paddlers, foilers, etc.
Some facts: 1) more people are coming to HR for many different reasons, 2) most people from out of town bring $ into the community - trust me, we need it, 3) no one OWNS any launch sites aside from Swell - signs may deter a kite launch, etc, but come on. Let's get real, 4) the number of people accessing the river continues to grow with all the new equipment and sports being invented.

A combined water use organization could simplify communication and offer more clout to any arguments about use and compromise. It will also provide voices about different user understanding and promote a more beneficial environment (knowing compromise is a given).

The situation is not going to just stop because a small contingent do not like it. We better come up with some useful ideas and compromise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: