myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Northwave Sinewave Rules!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiterperson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Northwave Sinewave Rules! Reply with quote

I was generously given a Northwave Sinewave 3.7 to demo today. Oh my goodness. I'd heard all the hype but was not a believer. Boy was I wrong. I had the best 3.7 session in my 25 years of sailing today on this sail. I had to force myself to stop. Could have stayed out til dark. SO MUCH FUN and such a nice, light, smooth, easy handling sail. Unbelievably awesome. Just sayin'
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the Sinewave 4.7 (2 day demo at the Hatch) while my Maui Sails Legend was at their shop for repair and loved it. If you can read French or have a good translator, I did a review on my blog:

http://guyt54.blogspot.com/2018/08/test-voile-sinewave-de-northwave.html

Here's a summary:

On the positive side:

- Very light but still looks very well build. Looks good too.
- Very stable and balanced, far more than an other 4 battens sail I tried previously
- Perfect rotation, short boom makes it a snap to jibe, specially in overpower conditions.
- lots of range.
- Very good price
- Excellent service

On the negative side:

- Adjustable top, I want fixed top as they are less likely to break. And who still wants a mast sticking out of a sail?
- 3.5 and 4.0 sizes missing (3.7 to 4.2 is too big of a gap for me, so is 3.2 to 3.7)

Would I consider the Sinewave for my next Gorge quiver? Absolutely!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informative review , thanks.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guy,

My 4.2 NW has a top-cap strap that's wearing thin. I was just going to get NW to replace it, but it might just be time to replace it with a 4.2 Sinewave.

Could be the start of a new quiver, and it's your fault!

-Craig
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Hey Guy,

My 4.2 NW has a top-cap strap that's wearing thin. I was just going to get NW to replace it, but it might just be time to replace it with a 4.2 Sinewave.

-Craig

Sounds like you should buy him a beer! Lol

GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

If you do get a Sinewave 4.2 without getting a whole quiver, it will be interesting to see if it blends or not with your current quiver (NW ZX, correct me if I am wrong).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

If you do get a Sinewave 4.2 without getting a whole quiver, it will be interesting to see if it blends or not with your current quiver (NW ZX, correct me if I am wrong).

I feel the sailor will BLEND in with the sails if not round the other way

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guy, I have a mixture

ZX and Featherllite in the big sizes, Surflites from 4.7 on down.

It's not a done deal yet, but I also am interested in how a Sinewave would blend in with my other sails. For me a new quiver usually starts by replacing 1 sail.

-Craig

p.s. I'd like to think Gary is right and I do "BLEND" in with my gear.

p.p.s. I won't be back in town until Saturday, so get some rides for me.

GuyT wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

-Craig

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've explained before, my 5.2 SW has EVERY BIT AND MORE of the power range of my 5.7 ZX's and Featherlites plus the handling feel of a 4.7 Featherlite. I no longer have a 5.7 this year, for the first time in >30 years, because my Featherlite 5.7's range is completely covered by the SW 5.2 (there is no 5.7 SW). Mix/blend carefully and by experimentation rather than by square meters. I suggest demoing them before mixing models.

I've never had an adjustable top show any signs of wear on any brand of sail, despite keeping some for many years. I would never own a fixed top simply because it constrains mast selection and is easy to adjust if I decide I want more DH tension today for whatever reason. I'm never going to feel an inch of mast protrusion.

The SW's unusually broad wind range is enhanced by its surprising stability at the top end and its continued excellent performance with the outhaul slacked off by an inch or two for more power if the wind backs off. I thus change sails WAY less often than many sailors where I sail. When the Arlington sensor, for example, is averaging 30 mph, I can survive a 5.2 for a while or enjoy a 4.7, a 4.2, or a 3.7. That's a lot of range, and while many sailors slog across the damned wind shadow and weed bed over and over and over to re-rig every time the average wind speed changes by 3 mph, I usually just keep on havin' fun with whatever SW I'm on. My limits are increased physical risk at the upper end and not planing at the lower end, and there's a sq m or sometimes two in there, especially considering the range to be gained by sailing "east and west" ... i.e., blasting downwind and ripping upwind when beam reaching is dangerous due to too damned much power.

NW's demo program is simple: go borrow one. Or two. (They used to even mail demo sails around the country, but that quickly became impractical.)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable advise Amigo.

I also like an extendable top cap, but I've had them rip off after 10 years of
service. Maybe if you kept your quivers for more than a few years ......;*)
But then I wouldn't get the benefit of finding your well cared for sails at a
reasonable price on the open market, would I ;*) ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Mix/blend carefully and by experimentation rather than by square meters. I suggest demoing them before mixing models.

I've never had an adjustable top show any signs of wear on any brand of sail, despite keeping some for many years. I would never own a fixed top simply because it constrains mast selection and is easy to adjust if I decide I want more DH tension today for whatever reason. I'm never going to feel an inch of mast protrusion.

NW's demo program is simple: go borrow one. Or two. (They used to even mail demo sails around the country, but that quickly became impractical.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: