myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil God at the Hatch Wed. morning !! ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stu2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys, don't have this conversation in private. I think we can all remember we are friends and have an open, even keeled discussion about the quickly growing number of users in the Corridor.

- Stu
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sailworks guys might have the info. Never seen anyone with that skill level!!! Red with blue/purple stripes board. Tall lanky looking guy with a hat??
Ken Winner????????????

Bart has nailed every point in the ROW discussion. Try that towing with no observer with a sheriff around and see what happens.

stringp wrote:
Westender, do you have any more info on what sort of foil gear this guy was on? LP, Slingshot, etc. Interested in what the foil gods are riding these days.
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tall windsurf foiler in the hat is Matt Wheeler. He kite foiled for 3 years then switched to windsurf foil. He is behind the Wheeler wings - carbon foil wings.
He's a retired engineer from Insitu who makes wings as a hobby.
Dale Cook and Wyatt are the other foilers.
Every day there's a couple of new guys ripping on windsurf foils at the Hatch.
Some of thees guys are riding the new Slingshot 633 wing.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info.

Windsurfers on Medicare have the ROW.
underwood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Right of way rules are RULES Reply with quote

GorgeWindsurfing wrote:
Hi Eric, perpendicular to sailing or kiting user groups = potential for collisions. The motorized craft or paddle craft will be at fault. COLREGS. Look it up, we are on a federally controlled navigable waterway. We don't have to, and in a collision situation, CAN"T occupy the same space. As I said earlier, go somewhere else, especially if you are on a "Burdened" vessel. Cheers, Bart

Hey Bart, while you are correct the coast guard rarley puts 100% of the blame on one vessel. Rule 17b states that if the stand on vessel finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give way vessel alone, she shall take action as will best aid to avoid collision.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought Dr. Foil God's sailing was impressive. Shocked
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart is trying to prevent collisions by correctly stating the ROW rules, even though (duh!) somebody with ROW who collides might still be partially at fault for failing to avoid. Bart is providing wisdom from understanding and experience.

It is obviously unwise to try and pull (publicity? narcissism?) stunts in a super-crowded waterway (Hatchery). Additionally, the most successful foilers through Swell City/Hatchery zone I have witnessed are doing it on the far southern edge of the channel where the current is reduced.

If I were a foil "god", that is where I would go. But noooo! Very few spectators would see what a "god" I am then! And I would not be as "cool" as a consequence.

I think it's cool to be safe and have a great time in the process.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Biff except for Dr. FG, had the best control of anyone on the water and safely avoided everyone with precision. He foiled circles around all the windsurfers. Craziest thing I ever saw. Shocked
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys sailing foils are easy to see and obviously a sailing vessel. The problem are the SUP foilers that you simply cannot see. Last night at swell, a van drove up and unloaded 5 sup guys to try the swells. One of them said they are beginners looking to try the big waves. They were floundering all over the place with sailors buzzing around on 3.7's. Waves were grande and several of the SUP guys were laying on their boards paddling around.

I think its only a matter of time before someone get hit.
trailboss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminded me of this thread. I love it that everybody shreds together too. Even at the Hatchery.

IMG_75619BE43718-1.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Viewed:  21910 Time(s)

IMG_75619BE43718-1.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: