myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting stuck halfway during gybe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 things to do on a longboard to get it to turn:
1. Step back further.
2. Move the rig a lot more.
3. Foot steering - if you're using a daggerboard, it's the opposite foot that you'd use for a carving jibe.

Practices:
1. On a downwind course, hop as far back as you can. Place your feet side to side, toes pointing out. Control how much the nose rises by pulling the sail to you, and pushing it away from you, pushing down on the boom. The goal is to get your knees wet. You'll see the board really wants to turn.

2. Again on a downwind course, stand back a bit, and move the sail a lot to the sides. On a 7-8 m sail, your hands move several feet each on the boom. The mast goes past 45 degrees on one side, and the clew almost touches the water on the other side.

3. Are you using the daggerboard? Is it up or down?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With proper technique, any longboard can be turned within a couple of feet radius (in light wind). Takes a lot of practice and drills, but looks quite impressive if someone can do it.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask someone at you sailing site what your doing wrong. Send us a video so we can see whats up. Then we might be able to help...
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, move feet further back, and switch the feet earlier.

Also, move hands WAY back on the boom, and transition to clew first sailing by holding firm with your old back hand, allowing the mast to drop down toward the water, and feathering for power with your old mast hand.

Sounds like you're getting stuck with the sail still trying to go "forward" in the old direction. Transitioning to clew first sailing will "jibe" the sail without actually jibing the sail. Then you can FLIP the sail after you're steady and heading in the new direction.

1) hands further back
2) feet further back
3) start jibe by leaning mast forward and across the nose of the board (so that you can see the nose of the board through the sail's window)
4) switch feet while holding the sail steady. Do this early, before dead downwind.
5) transition to clew first position by relaxing your mast hand and holding the clew hand firm and upright
6) flip sail once steady on the new tack

The board will go through dead downwind during steps 4 and 5. It will be more of a slide/pivot/spin, rather than a long drawn out gliding carving turn. There should not be a lot forward motion or ground lost.

http://wind-nc.com
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:
Could it be the mast is too upright and I need to tilt it backwards/towards me to enable turning further.

This comment leads me to believe your mast arm is bent & you are extending the clew arm down wind towards 6 o'clock thus stalling the sail. Both arms should be straight when the nose of your board is pointing at 6 o'clock. The sail should be close to across the wind with the mast & clew pointing near 3 & 9 o'clock, not 12 & 6.

Coachg
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting stuck halfway during gybe Reply with quote

qwertyjjj wrote:
I initiate a gybe, back hand back on the boom, tilt sail to windward, start steering, get halfway, twist feet and then I'm stuck pointing directly downwind and can't turn any further. I end up flipping the sail and end up doing a kind of tack to keep turning, sail held back.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong halfway that stops the turning motion?

I used to have the same problem until an ABK instructor pointed out that I was looking at my sail and stalling dead downwind, when I should be looking in the direction I want to go.

So BEFORE you do anything, when you look back (to check if there's another sailor below you), use that as a reminder that you need to look where you want to go.

So if you're sailing on starboard toward 9 o'clock (wind at 12 o'clock), you'll want to look at least to 5 o'clock; if you're sailing on port toward 3 o'clock, you'll want to look at least to 7 o'clock. On smaller sails you may end up looking behind the leech of the sail.

This way, you can see the point you are turning the board dead downwind, then you can switch the feet to clew-first stance.

Examples at
http://www.jemhall.com/technique/item/carve-gybe.html
https://youtu.be/jsDI_M3D8H8?t=148
https://boards.co.uk/basics/gybing.html
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come off the plane its sail steering that is the primary
thing that you should use to turn . You can sink the tail to turn
faster but basically it's the last part of a pivot jibe .
Which means the sail(mast) goes to the outside of the turn.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
qwertyjjj wrote:
Could it be the mast is too upright and I need to tilt it backwards/towards me to enable turning further.

This comment leads me to believe your mast arm is bent & you are extending the clew arm down wind towards 6 o'clock thus stalling the sail. Both arms should be straight when the nose of your board is pointing at 6 o'clock. The sail should be close to across the wind with the mast & clew pointing near 3 & 9 o'clock, not 12 & 6.

Coachg

Although "arms should be straight" should not be interpreted as locking the arms straight, Coach is right that the sail should stay across the wind: arms operate independently so that the sail stays in the same position relative to the wind.

Here's a good visual of keeping the sail in the same position relative to the wind as you turn the board. https://vimeo.com/233043221
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So BEFORE you do anything, when you look back (to check if there's another sailor below you), use that as a reminder that you need to look where you want to go."

Very good advise, like most sports the rest of your body and equipment will follow your head, and in this cast I will also add your knees.
I initiate my jibe with my knees, and going as fast as I can, a pump or two to build up speed can help, then bend the knees. By bending your knees, you are committing the inside rail (sinking it) which makes the board turn. I stay in that position until I pass thru the eye of the wind (going straight downwind), only until then, do I release the clew end and switch my feet.
So just keep one word in mind when going for a jibe, "commit". A half hearted commitment, will result in a half completed jibe.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much what has been said, but in the simplest terms:

Longboard, light wind slow jibe:

1. Keep the sail perpendicular to the wind all the way through the jibe (wind in the sail).

2. Lean the mast toward nose to initiate, then keep the mast and sail in that position as the board turns.

3. As the board turns, shuffle the feet so that you are always facing downwind.

4. At the conclusion of the 180 degree turn, you will be sailing clew first - then flip the sail, letting go of the old back hand (new front hand).

5. How quickly this will happen depends on the wind speed and your position on the board. More wind and or moving further back on the board will cause the board to turn more quickly.

Planing jibes are COMPLETELY different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: