myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook RULES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Chinook RULES! Reply with quote

I just regripped my old Chinook Triple-clamp Wave carbon boom (it took me HOURS, but I did a fine job, for my first time ever). But then one of my boom arm clamps on port tack began to disengage from the extension holes (especially where they are worn from the 4.2m sail zone) during jibes. The single holes on the main arms were clearly worn, ovaled-out. Sailing with only one clamp engaged is "squishy" and dangerous, due to boom arm distortion. Booms CAN break during distortion. And then you will have to windsurf like a pro (possibly clew-first) to get back to your launch location.

Solution: reterminate the boom arms (cut a couple inches off, redrill fresh round holes that are perfectly-aligned) AND add new Chinook boom extension clamps. All for $25 and about 20 minutes of time at Chinook in Cascade Locks! They are very busy with much bigger projects, so I tried to get in and out quickly, without "dweebing" too much of their time away. I suggest you kindly and considerately do the same, should you decide on this remedy. It might work for other carbon boom models. But first, remove the head and check your boom arms for dangerous cracking where they insert into the head. Any boom repair/remodel of a terminally-ill boom...carbon OR aluminum... is a waste of money and very dangerous!

We will see how this works. I am very optimistic, because there is now very little free play at the extension clamps after the procedure. I am very grateful for their skilled and expedient help so far, and I will report efficacy after my next session. I LOVE their new ultra-small diameter boom concepts, but I just regripped this boom and really want to continue using it for a while before I (eventually) convert to one of their ultra-small diameter booms.

20180821_151531.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  327.54 KB
 Viewed:  14551 Time(s)

20180821_151531.jpg

katosandog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the holes pull out of the end of my 10 year old Chinook Carbon boom and the guys in Cascade Locks put it back together for me for ZERO dollars. They are great and their products are excellent.

Could have made the repair myself except I was on vacation!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test report from a strong 4.2 session: the boom remodel with new holes and clamps works perfectly. Chinook rules.
exgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: chinook rules Reply with quote

had a similar great experience with Chinook on their paddles and booms. they did a great job doing boom regrips, replacing the too sticky plastic in the boom head with the modern stuff and fixing the paddle. all in very cost effective fashion.
we are lucky to have such a great company here locally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: