myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pumping a small sail to get up on the foil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Pumping a small sail to get up on the foil Reply with quote

Suggestions for improving are welcome as I am still trying to get the hang of this.

I think I finally started to get a taste of pumping a small sail to get up on a foil even in light wind. Here is what I was doing.

My equipment was the Naish Hover Windsurf 142, the Naish Thrust Windsurf Foil, and the Sailworks Flyer 5.2 Foil Sail.

I had the adjustable Chinook Race Harness Lines adjusted all the way out.

The first step was to find the wind and wait for a gust.

To find the right angle for the wind I was letting the sail go where it wanted to go, where it felt like it has slightly more pull. To do this is used a loose hold on the boom, almost no hold, so it would take me where it felt best.

Then I would wait while reading the water, waiting for some ripples to appear.

My feet were either one foot in the front strap or no feet in the strap just yet, I am not sure which was better, although no feet in the strap made the waiting position seem more comfortable.

Once the ripples appeared I would again adjust the sail to find that gust as needed, and once I felt slightly more pull in the sail I would start my pumping.

At the same time it was critical to get the front foot in the strap if it was not there already.

My pumping was small pumps, it was critical not to lose the feeling of the wind because if I turned slightly up or downwind I would lose my momentum.

The pumps were tilting the sail forward slightly to feel even more pull, and felt like scooping the wind into the sail to grab as much pull as possible.

I stayed in the harness line as it was easier to resist and counter the pull of the sail with my body weight vs. just using my arms and shoulders. Having the harness lines set at such a long length was critical to allowing me to pump while still in the lines.

Depending on the length and strength of the gust made a big difference in when I could rise up. If the gust was a little stronger, one or two pumps and I put my back foot in the strap and would rise up.

If it was borderline I might have done 4 or 5 pumps, and was really at a very marginal speed increase, then put my back foot in the strap and could rise up. In this marginal wind it was critical to keep heading on the same path to catch the next gusts while up on the foil to make sure I could stay up. If I swerved off course at all I would come right down.

Anyway, it felt pretty good to ride a 5.2 in very light wind.

I would estimate the wind average was around 10 knots to 11 knots.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much emphasis on pumping the sail. Get your back foot in the rear strap earlier so you can pump/porpoise the foil. As soon as the board rises out of the water dive it down again to gain speed & rebound off the water to get the assist to get the board up & flying.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coachg, I will try that.

I remember Robby said in his light wind video to get in the straps before you even start pumping.

When I put my foot in the back strap should I be putting all my weight forward on my front leg and still leaning the sail forward to get wind?

I seem to remember if I do not do this the front of the board tends to come up which then slows my forward momentum.

We have stormy conditions here with Hurricane Lane and then the wind disappears so it will be almost a week before I get to try this.

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shift more of my weight to the rig when going for the back strap, not my front foot.

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks coachg, I will try that. I will update you on how it works out but it will probably be about 1 week from now or longer.

I noticed if there is good wind you can pretty much do any technique and it works, so I have to have either very low wind or some what low wind with a small sail to test it.

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just depends on how much you want to pump. I counted 20 pumps watching Andy Brandt get a 4.8 going in 10 knts. Way too much work for me.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: