myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui - Hurricane Lane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Maui - Hurricane Lane Reply with quote

Looks like an epic day coming up on Maui. Looks like Hurricane Lanes' rain is holding off on the north shore of Maui. Hope to see some awesome videos on Youtube in the coming days.

Should have grabbed the last minute BOS-OGG $600 RT ticket which was available a few days ago and the $105/nt waterfront Airbnb private room in Paia that was available.

Good luck for those lucky souls in paradise. Shred it up guys/gals!

Lars
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the perspective of the NWS along with some wind speeds

Hawaii Area Synopsis (courtesy National Weather Service)

“Catastrophic flooding continues on the Big Island this evening as dangerous Hurricane Lane creeps northward a couple of hundred miles south of Honolulu. This threat along with damaging winds is expected to expand westward over the smaller islands later tonight through Saturday as Lane approaches and moves into the area. This will be a long-duration event with the potential for heavy rainfall continuing Sunday into early next week as Lane begins to track westward and away from the state. Additionally, coastal impacts associated with large surf and water levels rising due to surge could lead to inundation and overwash onto low-level coastal areas through Saturday.”

Automated Surface Observations Peak Gusts:
06:00Z Kohala Ranch, Big Island (KHRH1)……. 61 MPH (98 km/h)
06:00Z Kamuela, Big Island (PHMU)…………. 44 MPH (71 km/h)
06:00Z Waikaloa, Big Island………………. 47 MPH (76 km/h)
06:00Z Lanai, Lanai (LNIH1)………………. 45 MPH (72 km/h)
05:00Z Maalaea Bay, Maui…………………. 52 MPH (84 km/h)
05:00Z Lahaina, Maui (PHJH)………………. 46 MPH (74 km/h)
06:00Z Molokai Airport, Molokai (PHMK)…….. 40 MPH (64 km/h)
06:00Z Makapulapai, Molokai………………. 40 MPH (64 km/h)
06:00Z Kaunakakai, Molokai……………….. 43 MPH (69 km/h)
06:00Z Kuaokala, Oahu……………………. 49 MPH (79 km/h)
06:00Z Waianae Valley, Oahu………………. 40 MPH (64 km/h)
06:00Z Daniel K Inouye Honolulu, Oahu (PHNL).. 44 MPH (71 km/h)

Maui.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.13 KB
 Viewed:  17959 Time(s)

Maui.jpg

amarie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing this post is sarcasm, but not entirely sure. Do you think people will sail the storm? I've never sailed Maui and am not a pro, so my experience obviously doesn't compare directly, but we have sailed the periphery of some hurricanes and tropical storms on the Gulf Coast. It's fun to conquer that within reason, but it's storm conditions, meaning sloppy waves, strong currents, and occasional debris floating below the surface that you can't see because the water is so churned up and cloudy. The fun is more in the conquering than in the conditions themselves. I imagine the average level sailor on Maui (especially those who would consider storm sailing) is high and they'd be good at gauging where to draw that line of adventure vs. foolhardy. I hope everyone stays safe and the islands come through as best possible. I would also love to see any pictures/reports from a windsurfing perspective as time goes on, even if not actual sailing, then how the launches and breaks fared. Our main summer wave break definitely changed from Hurricane Harvey (though our bottom is sand and a much different situation than volcanic islands).
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw anyone sail in storm conditions on Maui when I lived there. Why would anyone want to?
derekd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: 1985 hurricane Reply with quote

I was on Maui in 1985 when a hurricane hit. After it passed there were sailboats on the other side of the road. There was hardly any wind and Hookipa was easily 60' plus faces, one after another. I was just mesmerized watching this. Easily the biggest waves I have ever seen in my lifetime. Wasn't exactly closing out, was breaking from one side to another, meeting in the middle whereupon several tons of water would explode off the top. No takers, was 'death on a stick' out there. If I had known about Jaws at the time, would have taken a look.
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What airline was giving 600 rt ? I got back last week ,I paid $850 and thought it was a really good deal. That was American, and I bring my own gear, for $150 each way.
As far as sailing , had wind every day for 16 days, and most days swell at uppers. Some days very gusty, as it can be there, also one day gusting to upper 40's , too much for me, and locals even commenting it was as windy as they have seen it, for quite awhile. One observation, I see the same people year after year, locals and visitors, and everyone is just getting older. This is at Kanaha, Hookipa may be a bit different. As far as Hurricane Lane, Kanaha was closed, for the time being.
jpeter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only visit to maui was 2 weeks ago, cant imagine going there to storm sail. It blows 20 to 30 just about every day all summer. Just pick a random week and sail your ass off. We did enjoy a southery pass from a hurricane that brought out some good south side surfing. Jp
DrWind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $600 fare was with American. Was planning of renting gear.

I found this on the Web.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Fairly-Cold-and-Windless-in-Maui?page=1

Lars
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! $600.00 is a great deal!

Lived there in 1990 from early April till the end of November and probably sailed about 150 days. My big sail was a 5.3, smallest a 3,7 which saw a lot of use in Kihei. Early June through September I sailed nearly every day. No Hurricanes that year. Oct.- Nov. winds were not as consistent but the surf can get huge! 18-22 feet one day at Kanaha with an easy launch.

I would not plan a trip there if there is a Hurricane out there They can shut down the trade winds. I got skunked one year because of this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: