myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
backup mast question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemslib

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: backup mast question Reply with quote

Discovered a massive crack yesterday in the old sdm 30% fiberspar I have been using (finland produced). Amazed it did not fail on water, during the session I did hear a creak but thought it was the boom clamp line when weight applied. Sailed 2 hours or so after that but back at landing I noticed this massive crack! I do tape the sections together fwiw when rigging.

Backup mast is a powerex race, 70% carbon, utah produced, so probably pretty old--labeled icms=25. I have sailed it several times including in heavy wind without issue and is a nice, light mast with little sign of use other than it does have a bend when rigged--appears to be the lower section ferrule. There is no evidence of cracking, just slight bend when taped together. When I mount the powerex top on the fiberspar bottom there is no bend.

Any downside to sailing the backup mixed as described or thoughts on sailing slight bends in otherwise safe looking masts? When I have sailed the utah mast I tend to align it so the kink is with the bend vs against thinking that is less stress?

I will pick up a new mast soon but do want to sail the backup in interim.

thanks

IMG_7140.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.27 KB
 Viewed:  7879 Time(s)

IMG_7140.JPG

Last edited by systemslib on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
philodog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead and try the mixed mast, it's only five minutes of rigging. If it is a semi modern sail it probably rigs wrong on the original mast anyway. You probably won't notice. Looks like the crack is only a couple inches long. You can always cut off that part and re-rig the sail to fit. And when you replace it do yourself a favor and get a 90-100% RDM. You're life will change.
systemslib

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think about cutting it but crack is almost 8cm long and 8.0 ezzy sail needs 488 so would be to short with standard extension....Will go try the mix setup this PM and see! Yes would love a nice ezzy rdm but hard to justify right now, I see the gt 60% sdm is recommended for cheetah sail and on sale, probably go with that one...
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop the cracked portion, up to 6" without
reinforcement.
Next mast per sail reco, Rd or St.
I've had Rdms since early 90's, and use Sdm on all sails that don't require skinnys.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cut it off, and buy a long extension. Those old Utah Powerex masts freak'n rock don't they. I'm still riding a 400 and a 370 for Gorge 4.7 to 3.2 conditions. I'd rig that mast against the curve, not with it. I'd also try the mismatch 1st. Costs nothing but your time. Might ride just fine with your sail.

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: